+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is the yard fenced? Not that I'm defending animal cruelty at all but if they're new neighbours, maybe they have had to order fences before they can let the dog run free?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (22-06-2014),ScubaGal  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is very dangerous to the dog to be tethered for that long - I have seen dogs wrap themselves in runner wires and end up with an amputation. I would call the RSPCA and just ask them to check on it and talk to the owners.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Is the yard fenced? Not that I'm defending animal cruelty at all but if they're new neighbours, maybe they have had to order fences before they can let the dog run free?
    You have a point there. The yard is fenced on three sides and broken at the front. I think it's a rental so not sure if they can fix the fence. Still, if I was in that situation I'd at least have the dog under the house (a queenslander) or next to the house instead of the end of the yard. Actually no, I wouldn't have a dog if I had to tether it 24/7. I think I'll give RSPCA or the council a call and see what they say.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (22-06-2014),VicPark  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Call the RSPCA for sure.

What were they thinking when they rented a house that wasn't fully fenced?! It's not okay to have your dog tethered 24/7. I would only excuse someone for doing that if it was a very temporary arrangement.

The dog should be walked, played with and loved. They adore human interaction and affection.

Sadly there are a lot of people who have pets but aren't animal lovers. I have no idea why they get pets, it makes me sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm interested to see what the RSPCA say so please let us know 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to work on reception at the RSPCA. Part of my job was determining whether to put calls through to the animal protection section.

This is a grey area. It's probably technically neglect but because the dog is fed, watered & sheltered they probably wouldn't attend. Unfortunately there are so many other reports of more serious neglect and/or abuse, the inspectors have to make a judgement call which ones they will attend. They have to do inspections, follow ups, write reports, attend court - their time is limited.

I would still call though as it might be a quiet week for them but just understand why they may not be able to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    An alternative option would be to talk to them, find out if maybe they are just minding it for a week or so, or are they worried about toilet training, there are plenty of great youtube resources that could help them with training etc...

But of course if you talk to them and express a concern about the dog then the RSPCA turns up they'll know it was you. Depends on how you think they'll react...

If you do talk to them and they are just clueless, I'm happy to pm you a bunch of online doggy resources you could share with them...

Thanks
    Reviews
    23/7 not illegal. 24/7 yes. However you have to prove it isnt being let off at all.

💜 DD1 aka Peanut 💜 Due 28.10.14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its listed in either companion animals act or prevention of cruelty to animals act, cant remember which one but they are both listed on DLG website

💜 DD1 aka Peanut 💜 Due 28.10.14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My BIL is a ranger for the local council and just said when I asked him - it's is an offence for a dog to be chained on a lead/chain less than 3m for a 24-hour period without being let off for exercise -he said you can report it to the council first as they will probably be quicker than the RSPCA