+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both of my babies were born in July (Melbourne) so I know all about winter illnesses & pregnancy!

I didn't do anything special with my second pregnancy, nor did we refrain from sending DS to childcare. My DS brought home the usual infections & I certainly got the worst of them. I actually gave birth BOTH times whilst having the flu. The first time it was actually the swine flu. I had flu shots, a whole lot of good they did! Unfortunately your immune system is too far compromised by the end of pregnancy for it to combat the nasty bugs.

My advice is to get everyone in your household to take Vitamin D. This year my DS brought home croup & tonsillitis from kinder. My poor DD got both, she suffered terribly! Then DH & I got them. We were literally sick for weeks until our GP suggested taking a Vitamin D supplement. She has mentioned it several times in the past, but I never listened to her. This time I did - OMG we have yet to be sick again & it cleared up all of our winter bugs in less than a week! You can get a kids liquid version at the chemist. We all take it now & won't look back! Good luck!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blonde Assassin For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I haven't read all the replies but my ds1 (3) was in daycare and caught RSV which my then 6 wk old caught causing a 10 day hospital stay. I can't blame daycare but I don't think it helped. We let ds1 have a break until bub was a bit older and stronger. There are a lot of germs around this time of year and if I can avoid them I do.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashfirst For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd2 got rsv from dd1 (22mths old ) at 5wks which cost us 10 days in ICU and another 2weeks on the ward. So not fun.

No real help other than usual precautions. I'm never having another winter bub again!

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey OP

If you decide to take a break from daycare, keep in mind that each day will count as an absence. If it's only a month and you're only using two days a week then you are far from the limit of 52 but just keep that in mind if you are relying on CCB/CCR to assist with costs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ra Ra Superstar For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post
    I heard somewhere that it's no longer recommended to have children under 6 vaccinated with the flu vax due to several children having severe side-effects from it. Can anyone validate this information?
    the brand Fluvax was found to cause side effects especially febrile convulsions in children under 5 so not used in them.
    vaxigrip and flurix are the two brands that are used in children above 6months of age (if indicated ) as well as adult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    op most daycares let you take holidays where you pay half.

I found my DD turned a corner with ear infections after about 2 where she seemed to grow out of them a bit. I hope yours does too

11. The Following User Says Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccer mum View Post
    op most daycares let you take holidays where you pay half.
    Wow, I'd love to find one of those daycares! I haven't heard of one yet in any area/state we've lived in that does that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Wow, I'd love to find one of those daycares! I haven't heard of one yet in any area/state we've lived in that does that.
    I've used a few day cares. Those that closed over Xmas charged 50 weeks a year. Those that allowed hlaf price during holidays (capped at 4weeks) charged 52 weeks of the year - so same same really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I will have to ask if they do the holiday pay