+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Clexane injections

Hi,

Is anyone else taking clexane? I'm on it twice a day due to a clotting disorder and so far it's been 4 days and I'm over it! Not looking forward to having to do it all the way through my pregnancy and up to 6 weeks after! I know it's necessary for a healthy me and a healthy bub - but it's still not nice!

Anyone I can whinge and complain with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some tips for you-
    Ice the stomach area first to numb
    I also noticed that if I positioned the needle on a 45 degree angle with the tip pointed down it didn't hurt as much. Also, inject slowly as it will not sting as much and prevent as much bruising. In saying that I guarantee you will be a pin cushion by the end. Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I feel for you!!! I only had to take it for a week or so and it wasn't pleasant! Hope you find some tricks that work for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have currently done them for four years so I hear your pain. A tip a nurse gave me to prevent bruising is after you inject, use the palm of your hand and gently press into the inject site for a minute or so. It's not much fun but a lot less pain than a blood clot. All the best 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You poor thing

I had them every day for almost 4 weeks and they really suck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH did mine for me. I only had one bad bruise at the start before we had our 'lesson' with the nurse as we started just after ovulation. 3 months in I had to have an u/s due to a bleed and when the Dr (I was away at the time) did a physical examination of my stomach he questioned us whether I was still using it as he couldn't see any marks! DH felt pretty good about himself!

I would pinch up my skin and always alternated sides, and were told not to press down on it if it bled, just to hold a clean tissue against the surface. Every now and then one stung a little more than another but I think it just depends on where the nerves/vessels are. Also as someone else said - we kept the pointy part of the needle on the bottom when injecting as this can make a difference. No need to get rid of the air bubble either. We found that what the pharmacist said when we picked up our first lot and what the nurse instructed us to do were two different things with the pharmacist giving us old advice.

I'm sorry that you have to do this, but think about it being a means to a very good end. All the best x.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing those injections aren't nice. I had a mini stroke in February and had to go onto clexane injections, they were extremely painful depending on what nurse was giving them too.
    Hope you learn an easier way to give them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I'm on Clexane too but only once a day. I'm 31 weeks pregnant so have been doing it for ages now and like you I have to keep going for six weeks after birth as well.
    I also have a blood clotting disorder. I've lost quite a few babies and this is my first pregnancy where I've used Clexane so even though it sucks I'm happy to do it to get a good result. I don't find it that bad anymore and I don't get bruising like I did in the beginning.
    My husband does it for me most of the time in my bum which I find better.
    Best of luck with everything. Whinge away I say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately I've been on clexane before (due to previous clot and then surgery) so I know how sucky it can be. I must say though that the needles seem to be a bit sharper than what they were when I first had them 9 years ago!

I've heard and used most of those tips but hadn't heard about pointing the sharpest end of the needle down. Will have to try that one. I feel that the stinging of the liquid isn't so bad but I hate having to push the needle in at the start.

@Little Ted - you are so lucky your DH did yours. Mine can't do it! He doesn't like the idea of hurting me. Bless him! But at least I can inject it nice and slow when I do it. I've found that breathing out as I inject is useful for me.
    Last edited by flowerkr; 21-06-2014 at 21:12. Reason: not happy with spacing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The more you do it the easier it gets.