+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I cant bring myself to get mentally assessed

So for years ive always felt something wasnt right in my head, I became aware of mental illness when I started knowing about my mother having anxiety disorders and depression when I turned 13.
    Ive always been on edge, seeming as though im depressed or miserable some of the time and then ill be happy not long after like nothing happened. The smallest things have always irritated me and I cant control my anger most of the time and I absolutely have to be by myself or ill just snap, which is kind of hard when you have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. I find myself yelling at my 2 year old a lot when I really dont mean it, I feel like such a bad mother after I do it and I tell myself I will never raise my voice like that again but within the next couple of hours im doing it again and I always think the same thing. I have days when I feel really depressed and hate my life then ill have days where I feel so confident in myself like im going to achieve everything i want in a day. My partner is continuously getting annoyed at me for my mood changes, even though I cry on his shoulder often telling him im sorry and that I dont mean it and cant help it no matter how hard I try. He tries to understand but it just shoots over his head sometimes when I explain how I feel. My partner was a sufferer of depression before we met and he has a mild type of bipolar disorder and he always tells me to go get a mental health check. He tells my mum a lot of stuff that I say to him regarding how I feel, only because she worries about me and I have never opened up to anyone in my family.

Last night I was looking for answers online, so I took an online mental health test (it states its just an assumption from the answers ive given and to seek the advice of a doctor about my results). It said that there is a high possibility I have bipolar disorder and depression. I was so shocked and just didnt want to believe it. I told my partner and he is pushing me to go see a doctor about it so I can get a proper analysis. The problem is I dont want to go because i dont want to be told ive got a mental illness, but I know I should for peace of mind?
    I feel so weird about all this as not once did it occur to me that I might have a mental illness and to think ive been dealing with it for years by myself wondering why im like this is just too much for me to take in. Why didnt I do this sooner? I feel like ive let myself down if that makes sense?
    Does anyone know what steps I should take to do this? Im so scared, nervous, ashamed that I have to do this.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Look at your mental health the same way you would look at your physical health . You would go to the doctor if you thought something wasn't right with your gut, why not go if you think something isn't right with your head. I can't offer much advice in the practical sense, but please do go and get an assessment. Especially if you are saying things to your partner and children that you don't mean. It won't be easy, but look after yourself. Take care xx
    Last edited by CakeyMumma; 21-06-2014 at 18:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can understand your apprehension. But yes, think of it like you would a physical issue. It may give you a handle on things and help make all aspects of your life a little easier. It doesn't mean you're broken, or less capable as a person if they are feelings you're experiencing. Go to your doc, as a start and get a referral to a good physiologist to help support you. Don't be ashamed. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like the others have said I can understand it's a really hard thing to consider, and I really like the analogy of seeing it akin to a physical health problem. You have a couple of options: go to your GP and potentially get a mental health care plan which will allow you to see a psychologist or contact your local mental health team who may be able to organise to assess you. I can guarantee you will not be judged in any way and the benefit is that you may get answers and assistance to help you to feel better. Good luck

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

First of all, there is no shame in having a mental illness. You wouldn't post about being ashamed for having had the flu all of your life, or breaking your arm. It isn't 'weakness'.

This is the way I look at it. Just like your physical health, your mental health needs to be maintained. If you hurt your back you would want to know everything about your injury and how to fix it. Same with a mental injury. And if you see a GP to administer a mental health questionnaire, then you are on the way to understanding yourself and knowing how to make yourself better.

If you hurt your leg, you could keep walking on it and hoping it will fix itself, but you will be suffering unnecessary pain. It's the same with your mental and emotional health.

From what you've described in your OP, whether or not you have the label of 'mental illness', it sounds like you could do with some support and some coping strategies. Seeking help is the first step towards focussing on your well being, and, by extension, the well being of your family. Your well being is so, so, important.

I would suggest seeing a GP that you trust and telling them exactly what you've said here. I know it can be daunting to lay yourself bare to someone who is virtually a stranger, but believe me, they've seen it before. The actual questionnaire is not overly intrusive, IMO.

It takes strength to seek help, and the way you're feeling is definitely nothing to be embarrassed by or ashamed of. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you're getting ahead of yourself OP without really finding out anything. Online tests are speculative and generic, they are not even close to a diagnosis. Do as others here have suggested, go in for a check up with your GP and ask for a mental health assessment. It takes 30 minutes, drs are familiar with the process and that will at least give you a way forward. Mental health is too important to ignore when you feel like something is not quite right.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been in and out of therapy for nearly 8 years. I'm good for a while and then I usually need a bit of support when there's big change, big stress, and poor decision making. Going along to get that mental health checkup the first time at 20 was nerve wracking and I was crying and felt so embarrassed that I was crying in front of the GP. Now I don't care. My mental health is an investment and without it nothing works. Don't worry too much about labels. Because no one needs to really know them apart from you and your health care providers, and even then, they are bound by confidentiality laws. Getting help is amazing. Do it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vue For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (23-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with babyla that you are getting ahead of yourself OP. Most mums with young children have bad days, it could also be hormonal, or just plain old stress! I do think mental illness is important to recognise, but I also think it's somewhat over-diagnosed, due to people living very stressful lives and lack of support and sleep etc. in this modern day world.

Happiness is not our default state yet we expect it to be if we take notice of main****** media that is. We also live different lifestyles now than in the past, with less support often.

I'd try a few different things before I sought a diagnosis though, I don't think a mental health assessment should be the first point of call necessarily. Exercise, tests for bloods and hormones etc to rule out physiological imbalances, and a mental health check if those things don't help. Big hugs, I'm sure you're more normal than you think.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

babyla  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellewood View Post
    Agree with babyla that you are getting ahead of yourself OP. Most mums with young children have bad days, it could also be hormonal, or just plain old stress! I do think mental illness is important to recognise, but I also think it's somewhat over-diagnosed, due to people living very stressful lives and lack of support and sleep etc. in this modern day world.

Happiness is not our default state yet we expect it to be if we take notice of main****** media that is. We also live different lifestyles now than in the past, with less support often.

I'd try a few different things before I sought a diagnosis though, I don't think a mental health assessment should be the first point of call necessarily. Exercise, tests for bloods and hormones etc to rule out physiological imbalances, and a mental health check if those things don't help. Big hugs, I'm sure you're more normal than you think.
    I agree. Only thing I would add is if you did feel you wanted psychological support for counselling, a mental health assessment means you get this virtually for free or at a greatly reduced rate, covered by medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of what you said is what I'm experiencing at the moment. I made myself go to the gp and told her what I as feeling, she referred me to a psychologist. On tne first visit she diagnosed me as having anxiety and I just felt so much better knowing that someone else understands and is going to help me. I can't wait to go back and just get help instead of suffering all the time.