+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default General Study Chat

Do you guys have a general chat thread? I'm currently doing an online study of counselling, about to tackle my first written assessment and id love to just have a general chat. Share study tips.
    At the moment my DS isn't in day care, I'm waiting for a spot to open up. My DH works weird shifts and it's hard to get a few hours study in as well as spend time as a family. So I've been doing my study during the week when DS has a sleep.

What tips do you use to make studying easier? My ritual is a can of coke and some music as I seem to concentrate better.

Anyone willing to chat please join me. We don't have to do the same course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I study on campus but find it really difficult to do assignments etc at home with dd or even in the evenings after she has gone to bed. But at night seems to be the best time for it for me. I like to get my laptop and sit on our bed with the telly on low and nut it out until my brain stops functioning!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've just finished my diploma of nursing and about to start my bachelor of nursing. It's my first time studying by distance so I'm a little worried.

I have a quiet area, but like you, I think I'll struggle to find the time to study in between shift work. I'm waiting until I get my subject outlines then I'll work out a timetable of when to study.

Can you try going to a library when DH is home to watch the kids? Even a few hours of quiet space to do assignments might help you refocus

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by my2monkeys View Post
    I study on campus but find it really difficult to do assignments etc at home with dd or even in the evenings after she has gone to bed. But at night seems to be the best time for it for me. I like to get my laptop and sit on our bed with the telly on low and nut it out until my brain stops functioning!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Same here, I'm on campus but find it so difficult to focus and stay on task when at home with the kids.
    I tend to retreat to my bedroom at the other end of the house, where it is a bit quieter.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm just getting into the grove of study with a baby at home again! Was def easier when my ds1 and dd we're at daycare and I had a day or 2 to get stuck into it. I guess my tip would be at the times when you're tired or dd is playing without you to do the tidy up jobs, like printing (if you do that) downloading docs, lectures,etc) formatting, headers footers, and so on cause then when they are asleep you can stick into the 'real' work that takes more thinking :-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got the desk in our office as my study area and have things set out just how I like it. I'm studying externally and really only study at night once DS has gone to bed, although I fell behind once and got MIL to have DS so I could study in the afternoon.

I get treats that are just for me and only have them while I study. Normally I wouldn't have any self control but I've found having an opaque container in the office keeps things out of sight, out of mind so they get saved for study time. Getting dinner organised in the afternoon also helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm starting to think maybe I should have waited out the next few months and gone on campus with DS in established day care routine. Hindsight I guess.

My2Monkeys - I read your reply the other day and so for 2 nights now I've stayed up a bit later getting in some more work. It makes for a rough night as DS still doesn't sleep through but I am getting stuff done.

SeymourTheBear - DH is supposed to take DS out on Fridays for me to get some stuff done, but he slacked off last Friday. He will have to pick it up during the school hols, as I am going to need that full day to get stuff done.

I wish we had an 'area'. This house is way too small now for us, moving in March, so my study area is also apparently gaming area and also 'bits and pieces' storage area.

I definitely should work out a timetable, maybe even get DH to definitely commit to it!