+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I certainly hope that my post didn't cause offence. My intention was just to point out that some natural oils give off vapour which can hurt young children's more sensitive eyes.

You original post made it sound like your daughter is in pain, but you know your child. My 6yo is a great over-exagerator as well. Something like the goggles probably will work then as it gives her a very definite thing that will make her feel protected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have sensitive skin and eyes and I've had problems with peppermint oil before. If your daughter is indeed not being melodramatic - and the fact that she does it consistently and claims that it hurts and, as you say, is one tough little cookie - it's possible that even the tiniest bit could be hurting her eyes. Natural doesn't necessarily always mean non-allergenic. She could just have very sensitive eyes.

Could you perhaps try something else? As an experiment, perhaps spray her with water instead but don't tell her it's different. If she carries on about that too, it might be more reassuring to know that she's not actually in pain and is just being a bit dramatic about it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidwitch View Post
    Could you perhaps try something else? As an experiment, perhaps spray her with water instead but don't tell her it's different. If she carries on about that too, it might be more reassuring to know that she's not actually in pain and is just being a bit dramatic about it.
    This is a great idea. I do this sort of thing to test my little drama queen all the time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd used to hate having her hair washed, even though it wasn't hurting her she'd scream . I'd probably try getting her to hold goggles just over her eyes, or maybe buy a pair of cute sunnies that she can wear when you are doing her hair.

I find it really hard doing hair in the mornings and that's without any extra stuff, good luck!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by onedayatatime View Post
    1 - she has never had it in her eyes before. 2 - It is not 'nasty stuff'. It is oils, water and conditioner. The peppermint oil is added to give it a nicer fragrance and this is the part which is strong smelling. I agree the vapour lingers. 3 - for those of you who say what I am doing is 'over the top' please realize that the headlice situation at my school is unbelievable. I used a chemist bought product in first term and it did nothing. We had the nightmare of trying to remove headlice in dd's long, thick hair every single week. And I can tell you that That experience was a hundred times worse for us all than the morning hair spray issue we are having. I dare not try another product at this stage thankyou because it is so hard to get rid of these nits once they are in. This is what we have found at any rate. I know my own dd. And I know this is issue is far more behaviour related than anything else. I am a very kind and careful mother (despite some of the implications in this thread) and if I thought she was is actual pain I would most certainly stop and try something else (just as I did when we were treating healice weekly). I really wish I hadn't come on here because I feel as though I've been painted as the meanest mother on Earth and that is simply not true.

I think the majority of posters here havent meant to come across that way.

Having your DD that distressed is obviously not good though. Having her have nits every week isnt good either - so its a difficult balance.

Hope you find a way to get her to understand it wont hurt her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    You're not a bad mum at all and of course you know your daughter best.

Its just that you mentioned "its deadly if you get it in the eyes" makes it sound pretty harsh, so suggestions of other formulas is suggestions that may help you.

Sounds like if she remembers the original pain if the weekly treatment and knows its because of lice and now you're saying you need to treat or prevent lice and to protect her eyes, she remembers the pain if the first lice treatment.

You are right it does sound behavioral (freaking out before something bad happens), but its not naughty behaviour.

Perhaps try and sit with her and explain why its so important to use this new treatment and tell her its so she doesn't have to endure the actual pain like last time.

I also agree with a pp in that if you can show her using it on your hair, she may be more likely to relax about it.

Even if you can find a you tube video of a kid having something/anything in their hair and show they are okay, she may relax a bit.

Good luck!