+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a pp said, it could very well be hurting her due to vapours. Alot of these sprays have really strong smells amd they burn eyes, and even scalps!
    I'd use it a lot less often and offer googles held over her eyes.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    other than that, I just use some of that 'frizz free oil' wiped on her hair (and hair in a plait) ... and DD has never had nits again.

I agree with others - I would stop using the stuff if it is so distressing for her (and you)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It must be very strong.

I make my own with oils, water and some leave in conditioner. It is not very strong smelling at all (although I can smell it) and the girls have never complained about their eyes and they haven't got headlice since I have been using it either.

Maybe make your own that isn't so strong. I wouldn't be rewarding her with something that is upsetting her so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a chance that at some stage she has had wet hair (rain or bath) and the residue has run into her eyes? Or that she has touched her hair then rubbed her eyes? This might be an issue that goggles can't even fix.

Thanks
    Reviews
    1 - she has never had it in her eyes before. 2 - It is not 'nasty stuff'. It is oils, water and conditioner. The peppermint oil is added to give it a nicer fragrance and this is the part which is strong smelling. I agree the vapour lingers. 3 - for those of you who say what I am doing is 'over the top' please realize that the headlice situation at my school is unbelievable. I used a chemist bought product in first term and it did nothing. We had the nightmare of trying to remove headlice in dd's long, thick hair every single week. And I can tell you that That experience was a hundred times worse for us all than the morning hair spray issue we are having. I dare not try another product at this stage thankyou because it is so hard to get rid of these nits once they are in. This is what we have found at any rate. I know my own dd. And I know this is issue is far more behaviour related than anything else. I am a very kind and careful mother (despite some of the implications in this thread) and if I thought she was is actual pain I would most certainly stop and try something else (just as I did when we were treating healice weekly). I really wish I hadn't come on here because I feel as though I've been painted as the meanest mother on Earth and that is simply not true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My dd is allergic to some of the natural sprays. We think it is one of the oils they use. You cant see it but she says it feels like her skin and eyes are on fire.

Another thing might be the smell is just too strong and causing a sensory overload.

I would stop using it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 21-06-2014 at 15:51.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (21-06-2014),snowqu33n  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And you know what else? I would LOVE to stop using it. Would LOVE that. But the advice I took all through term one from parents (same sort of things I'm reading here) didn't work at all! Tea tree etc etc... the regular hairspray, the anti-tangle stuff and so on. I am so scared of returning to the situation we had in term one of treating nits each week. It was horrible for her (I mean, ACTUALLY horrible) and certainly for us as well. I am just at this point of not knowing WHAT to do because I seem damned if I do and damned if I don't. This product (not as bad as many of you are concluding - seriously, it's not) is the first thing that has actually worked. I'm between a rock and a hard place. As I said, I know my dd and I know when she is actually in real pain. This behaviour of hers is not reflecting that. AND we had a few weeks there of no issues at hairspray time at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Can you do it while she is asleep in the morning or let her have a go doing your hair before you do hers? Maybe if she sees you handling it well she won't mind so much.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wondering OP, could it help to put some of the liquid on your hands and run it through her hair rather than to spray it... perhaps she has become a little phobic about the spray application? Changing how you apply it could get a better response, perhaps?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you spray it on the brush (rather than directly onto her hair) prior to doing her hair and while you are doing her hair? Or water is down a little?