+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wise Mums, please advise me!

I have a five year old who is a beautiful little girl inside and out... but currently is giving me strife every morning at hair-doing time. It's not about knots etc.... it's because I've been using a headlice preventative spray on her. It isn't one from a chemist, it's one that is made by a lady I know who has used the same formular on her kids for several years and they haven't had lice since. And since we've used it, my daughter hasn't had lice either. (and it is rife throughout the school and we used to have to treat weekly!) Anywayyyyy..... it is very strong smelling, but it is a nice and natural botanic sort of smell. It is deadly if it gets in the eyes so I give her a washer or handtowel to hold over her eyes while I ever so carefully spray. Yet every day my daughter carries on wailing and crying like it's going in her eyes and I cannot seem to convince her that it cannot possibly be doing that because of all the precautions I'm taking. Nothing convinces her and I'm at the point of really starting to resent this behaviour every single morning. It makes me so mad now! It feels so unfair because I know it isn't going in her eyes and I'm trying so hard to be so careful. I thought of using goggles for her but the strap would be in the way of where I'm spraying and combing etc. Can anyone give me any sort of advice or ideas for my situation. Rewards charts don't seem so have much impact on my child. She's very tough and isn't easy swayed by anything - reward or otherwise. If you have some method for protecting her eyes that sounds better than what I'm doing I'd love to hear it. I just need her to feel safe and confident - and to stop this crazy carry on every damn day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe get her googles and just have her hold the lenses part on her eyes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonezart For This Useful Post:

onedayatatime  (21-06-2014)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How distressing for her
    Has she previously got some in her eyes?

Maybe she could hold googles over her eyes or maybe just leave it for a while or try another product for a while even.... it doesn't sound like a nice way to start each day (for either of you )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Snorkelling mask with the nose cover as well maybe and she just holds it on her face..?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

onedayatatime  (21-06-2014),SpecialPatrolGroup  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you really have to do it every day??? Seems a bit over the top!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-06-2014),BabyG4  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would change sprays. Maybe make a nice gentle one yourself, I used to use a mix of tea tree, eucalyptus and lavender in a spray bottle with water.

Don't force her to use the one you've got. It sounds like she's gotten it in her eyes previously and now she's scared.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-06-2014),Amiedoll  (21-06-2014),Mod-biscotti  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The vapours from natural products like menthol and eucalyptus can burn/sting a young child's eyes without actual contact. A washer will stop the spray but not the vapours and they will be coming off her hair until the product is dry. It could actually be causing her a fair bit of pain.

Goggles do sound like the best option and leaving them on for 5 minutes after.

You may want to also look at making your own spray with just diluted tea tree oil. There could possibly be a whole mix of ingredients in her spray, some that won't be doing anything to prevent the lice. Remember natural doesn't automatically mean safe. Tightly tied or plaited hair (with water, oil or hairspray to hold it in) works best for prevention.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-06-2014),Amiedoll  (21-06-2014),BH-KatiesMum  (21-06-2014),snowqu33n  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    The vapours from natural products like menthol and eucalyptus can burn/sting a young child's eyes without actual contact. A washer will stop the spray but not the vapours and they will be coming off her hair until the product is dry. It could actually be causing her a fair bit of pain.

Goggles do sound like the best option and leaving them on for 5 minutes after.

You may want to also look at making your own spray with just diluted tea tree oil. There could possibly be a whole mix of ingredients in her spray, some that won't be doing anything to prevent the lice. Remember natural doesn't automatically mean safe. Tightly tied or plaited hair (with water, oil or hairspray to hold it in) works best for prevention.
    I agree with this. It sounds like you are using some nasty stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's that hard on her, why do it? Try something else.. Instead of trying to convince her it isn't hurting her, believe her & change products. It's great that it's working but not at the expense of your daughters comfort & possibly heath!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to monkey&&me For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with pp, it's not worth the distress it's putting her through. Try another product and hope its easier on her