+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First timers need some advice

Hello,

My partner and I are a young lesbian couple from Melbourne, VIC. We are both very family orientated, own a house and are in a domestic partnership (married in our eyes!). We have been slowly starting the process of AI at Monash IVF and are looking for some advice or success stories with donor sperm. We aren't really sure what to expect in terms of the process but are aware of costs - around $1600 for the treatment and $650 for donor sperm.

Can anyone tell me what information you get to know when picking a donor? And any experience people have had using donor sperm? Was the baby healthy?

Any help would be much appreciated. First Counselling session is tomorrow.

Thankyou!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi tdgg,
    There is so much info or lack of info with TTC, at the beginning its all so overwhelming. My partner and I are also using an unknown sperm donor. The amount and type of info you get varies by clinic.
    I think as a basic level you will get marital status, basic physical description (hair and eye colour, build), medical history (basic and self-disclosed, so really only declares what the donor wants to declare) and why they are donating.
    Im not with Monash IVF, but from comparing notes with a friend who went with another clinic, these things were common between two clinics.
    We had 5 donors to choose from for IUI, there are more available if you are doing IVF.
    All will become a little clearer after your counselling session, and if your experience is anything like ours, slowly gets clearer as the process goes on.
    Good luck and hope its a short process for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your comments jk565. The counselling session did certainly answer a lot of our questions and my partner and I are both much more informed now.

We were provided with a list of about 6 donors for AI. Height, build, nationality, eye color, hair color, occupation, education, interests. The list for IVF is a lot longer because they can use a lower sperm count. Also - I think the list is lower for us because sperm donors can say they dont want same sex couples and single women using their sperm.

We talked a lot about the legal aspects, the voluntary register and how the donor is notified when a child using their sperm is born. What sort of information they get etc.

I appreciate your reply though its great to get someone elses answer too.