+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Custody with alcoholic drug user.

    Basically my husband and I have just broken up. Tonight. He was organising to buy some hard drugs and I happened to see the texts in his phone. I called his sister to ask for advice and she told his parents. Now he blames me for everyone knowing and had absolutely decided that we are over. He has often suggested he would like to break up, especially when I mention that he drinks too much (he comes home and drinks 6 beers quickly then continues drinking throughout the night). He cannot accept responsibility and I am sick of it. We have an 18 month old though. I am terrified that he will try and get some sort of access/custody. This worries me because if he's doing drugs or even drinking, he could pass out (or worse) and it would negatively impact our child. If he's on hard drugs he could actually hurt him. But to prove this in family court would be difficult. I am so upset and confused. Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Inner West
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Oh gosh @Waterbaby sounds like you're in a really difficult place. Have you thought of seeking some professional help for yourself in this difficult situation? Your GP should be able to refer you to a counsellor which should help you with working out what to do, and a social worker might also be helpful to talk to about where to next and keeping your kids safe.

  3. #3
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Perth WA
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

    write down all the details you have (dates, times, text messages etc) of when you know he has purchased/used hard drugs.

    write down details of alcohol consumption (though that is harder as he can say that he wont drink when he has the child

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What an awful situation if his sister and parents are on your side maybe they would support you for custody. Stay safe xx

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If there is no family court agreement and you have the child then it is up to him to take the next step. If you believe the child is unsafe in his care then you can't give the baby to him and nobody can force you to without a court order, and even then you can raise your objections with child safety if it came to that and they are able to do unannounced child safety visits to assess the situation and the home.... You probably have some breathing time to get legal advice from women's legal aid or a family lawyer to advise you further. Many cases are resolved through mediation - they never even go to court. It's always wise to keep a diary and write notes. You can also delay things by saying you are still breast feeding the child and so the baby can't go to him at this point. Don't panic and don't worry about him - take care of you - have a shower and a sleep and eat something nutritious and make yourself comfortable, play some soothing music, and don't worry, you're the sober one, you will be fine.

    Remember, loose cannons never hit anything.

    good luck. X

    ps don't miss the opportunity to make photocopies of all relevant financial documents (pretty easy to show a drinking problem if you spend a fortune at Dan Murphys every month) and take photographs of anything that is evidence, including documents or receipts.
    Last edited by Butterfly39; 21-06-2014 at 01:06.


Similar Threads

  1. am i an alcoholic?
    By Little Miss Muffet in forum General Chat
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 21-12-2013, 08:33
  2. non alcoholic beer question
    By Hunkamunka in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-08-2013, 21:51
  3. Non alcoholic wine website
    By SoThisIsLove in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 14:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

learn how you can become a reviewer!


forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Obstetrician, Gynaecologist, IVF Specialist
Dr Terry Sheahan - Brisbane Obstetrician, Gynaecologist, IVF Specialist
Dr Terry Sheahan is a highly respected Obstetrician, Gynaecologist and IVF Specialist on Brisbane's Northside. To book an appointment or for information about his Affordable Low-Gaps Obstetrics please call his rooms on (07) 3353 3100
featured supporter
Baby Sensory
Baby Sensory is the only baby programme that offers a complete approach to learning & development. Our classes offer an exciting world full of fun sensory experiences for parents and babies to enjoy.

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!