+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Sub-septate Uterus & Surgery PLEASE HELP!

Hi All,

I was told a couple of months back that I had a sub-septate uterus by my OBGYN but she said its nothing to worry about.

Saw a new FS Yesterday & He said I have upto 75% higher chance of MC and should have surgery.

He was a really rushed & didnt even give me a moment to take in the 75% chance and didnt explain what is involved in surgery.

Has anyone else been through this?
    I had never even heard of a sub-septate uterus before this so I really have no idea!

Feeling really lost & down & don't know what to do so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    a friend on here had that ...

she did end up having the surgery - and had a bubby after (and is now having twins). But I dont know a lot about what was involved

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

PurpleLove  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    a friend on here had that ...

she did end up having the surgery - and had a bubby after (and is now having twins). But I dont know a lot about what was involved
    Thank you. Just knowing she managed to fall after surgery is helpful!

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was told at 20 that I had a subseptate uterus. My Gyno at the time said I would have highly prem babies if I didn't miscarry first and would need c-sections. Nothing that I wanted to hear at that age. I have since gone on to have 4 daughters but unfortunately a few miscarriages too! DD1 was 2 weeks late and a natural birth so my gyno was very wrong with his predictions.
    Only last year another gyno had a quick look at things and thought it was more of a unicornuate uterus but either way I never had the surgery to correct things.
    Have you been TTC for long? Only ask because if it hasn't been too long perhaps you could try naturally for longer before you consider the surgery?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

PurpleLove  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have one, the first obgyn I saw told me not to have surgery unless I have recurrent m/c. As it's only a fertility problem if the fertilized egg attaches on the septum. If it attaches anywhere else on the uterus it will be just fine ( although sometimes you can go into labour a bit earlier or have breach babies).
    I got UTD on the second cycle of TTC. From that I have a 7 month DD.
    I spoke to the obs who delivered my daughter, when he was doing my c section (she was breach) and asked if it was worth having the op while he was in there anyway. He said the deviation was greater than he had thought but he advised against it, "don't try to fix what ain't broken".
    IMO, if you were having recurrent loss it might be an idea but every surgical procedure runs the risk of adhesions, which could make it even harder to fall pregnant.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

PurpleLove  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    I have one, the first obgyn I saw told me not to have surgery unless I have recurrent m/c. As it's only a fertility problem if the fertilized egg attaches on the septum. If it attaches anywhere else on the uterus it will be just fine ( although sometimes you can go into labour a bit earlier or have breach babies).
    I got UTD on the second cycle of TTC. From that I have a 7 month DD.
    I spoke to the obs who delivered my daughter, when he was doing my c section (she was breach) and asked if it was worth having the op while he was in there anyway. He said the deviation was greater than he had thought but he advised against it, "don't try to fix what ain't broken".
    IMO, if you were having recurrent loss it might be an idea but every surgical procedure runs the risk of adhesions, which could make it even harder to fall pregnant.
    Thank you! I like the idea of not fixing what ain't broke! I've only had one suspected MC so we don't know if its affecting my fertility or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    I was told at 20 that I had a subseptate uterus. My Gyno at the time said I would have highly prem babies if I didn't miscarry first and would need c-sections. Nothing that I wanted to hear at that age. I have since gone on to have 4 daughters but unfortunately a few miscarriages too! DD1 was 2 weeks late and a natural birth so my gyno was very wrong with his predictions.
    Only last year another gyno had a quick look at things and thought it was more of a unicornuate uterus but either way I never had the surgery to correct things.
    Have you been TTC for long? Only ask because if it hasn't been too long perhaps you could try naturally for longer before you consider the surgery?
    Thank you. Its great to know you went on to have multiple pregnancies without too many issues.
    We have been TTC our 1st for almost 10 months. I'm also on clomid due to PCOS but this is only the first month I've actually ovulated.
    Fingers crossed everything will just magically workout.
    I'm not keen on surgery but if worst comes to worst I'll try anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had surgery to remove the septum from my uterus back in early 2010 on my gynaecologists advice, prior to ttc.

I fell pregnant with my DS later that year in the first month of trying.

I simply wanted the best chance of a successful pregnancy and I was comfortable with going through the surgery to achieve that.

The post surgery recovery was minimal because it's trans vaginal. A fair bit of bleeding afterwards but I can't recall any cramping or anything.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

PurpleLove  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    I had surgery to remove the septum from my uterus back in early 2010 on my gynaecologists advice, prior to ttc.

I fell pregnant with my DS later that year in the first month of trying.

I simply wanted the best chance of a successful pregnancy and I was comfortable with going through the surgery to achieve that.

The post surgery recovery was minimal because it's trans vaginal. A fair bit of bleeding afterwards but I can't recall any cramping or anything.
    Thank you. Did they advise you how long after the operation you could TTC?
    I just don't want to prolong it as Dr's have already said if I'm not preg in the next few months its not going to happen. (I have a rare illness that affects everything)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleLove View Post
    Thank you. Did they advise you how long after the operation you could TTC?
    I just don't want to prolong it as Dr's have already said if I'm not preg in the next few months its not going to happen. (I have a rare illness that affects everything)

I had a post-op appointment around 6 weeks later and I was given the go ahead to ttc whenever I felt ready.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

PurpleLove  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there
    I also have recently found out I have subseptate uterus and pcos aswell I am going to see gyno this month I have been trying to conceive for 2 years and have only fallen once but miscarried I am also very down as I can't wait to be a mother and it feels like it will never happen Good luck on your journey