+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default MIL dropped over her clothes dryer and asked for $50.

I have ongoing issues with my MIL at the moment. She asked me the other day if I wanted to buy her clothes dryer. I told her that yes, a clothes dryer is something we have considered buying due to the rain but that I didn't want to have one as my DH had hung out a special longer line in the yard and so far I was getting clothes dry. I also told that I bring in damp clothes and dry them by our air/con when it is on in the evening. I told her, if we changed our mind, we would let her know. I hadn't had a chance to talk to DH about it. This morning there is a knock at the door and it's MIL to say she has the dryer with her and she will be happy to accept $50. DH had no idea what was going on. He brought it in and told his mum he would give her the money another day. When MIL left I told DH I didn't want a dryer and was happy with the arrangements we have now. I told DH that she needed the dryer more then us, she has three people living with her and, up until today, she was using the dryer most days of the week. Do you think she was rude? She thinks she is doing us a favour and laughingly commented, $50, that's mate's rates. I am angry that she has done this. I don't want a dryer, if I want one(or we need one) we will go and buy one. This dryer is ok but has a huge dent on the top. It's also a bad week for us financially and we don't have a spare $50. WE have already been helping her out financially with groceries. What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you don't want a dryer, you don't want one! She clearly had her MIL ears on when you told her so. Can you get your DH to take it back?

Personally I wouldn't buy a second hand dryer due to fire safety reasons. Plus it sounds as though it has had a lot of use and it's damaged? If she was really doing you a favour she would not have requested the $50, especially since you have been helping her to buy her groceries.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (19-06-2014),peppertrees2014  (19-06-2014),SuperGranny  (20-06-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bit rude...I'd drop it back and let her know you don't need it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

peppertrees2014  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm i think it was a bit cheeky of her to just drop around with it after you had told her that you were happy with your drying arrangements. A clothes dryer sure is handy to zap clothes in that haven't dried properly on the line or rack ... but if you didn't want it then she shouldn't have pushed it onto you.

What does your DH think? You shouldn't have to feel pushed into buying something you don't want. $50 bucks is very cheap though... does it work good apart from the dint?

I think if you feel strongly about this then you should send your DH back to her house with the dryer to be returned.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    If she was really doing you a favour she would not have requested the $50, especially since you have been helping her to buy her groceries.
    I forgot OP that you said you have been helping her out, so I agree with the quote here. Why couldn't she just give it to you if she wanted to help out. Sounds to me like she is just trying to find a way to force more money out of you. I could be wrong, but looks a bit like it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wonder if she's pretty desperate for that $50 (I think you've been helping her financially lately?) and this is her way of maybe saving a bit of face because you aren't just "giving her $50", and that she's "sold something" to you iykwim?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] biscotti View Post
    I wonder if she's pretty desperate for that $50 (I think you've been helping her financially lately?) and this is her way of maybe saving a bit of face because you aren't just "giving her $50", and that she's "sold something" to you iykwim?
    This is what I was thinking.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also think she must be really broke. And $50 for a second hand dryer is not mates rates! I think in her head she thinks she's helping you, and helping herself too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, yes this also crossed my mine, she is desperate for$50.It's going back!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is really strange behaviour. I agree that she is desperate for the money. Why would she just rock up to your house with a dryer that you have already said you don't want? Let your hubby deal with it! Dealing with in laws like that would be exhausting.