+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rental inspection - first time renter

My DH and I have just moved interstate, we sold our home and are now renting. Our first rent inspection is next week and I'm not sure what the real estate are expecting from us in terms of the presentation of the house. I'm usually pretty anal with cleaning and we don't have kids yet so the house is generally clean and tidy. My main concern is that I'm due with our first baby on 2 July and the inspection is on the 27th June.. I'm just wondering what are agents expecting? I don't want to get a bad report because we all be renting here for a few years, if for example I've gone into labour and we have left the house in a rush and say our bed isn't made and a few dishes are out will we get into trouble?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As long as the fixtures in the house are clean and tidy it will be fine, some dishes in the sink and an unmade bed aren't an issue

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (19-06-2014),Joeee  (19-06-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Agree with headoverfeet.

- and best of luck with bubs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Joeee  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A lot of what they will be looking for can be done a month or so in advance. Things they would pick on include dusty exhaust fans, dusty/greasy range hood underside, clean oven/grill, cobwebs under the eaves/verandahs. They are looking for maintenance and upkeep, not if you tidied up that morning.

I had one inspection (in WA where they do them every 12 weeks) and DD (3 at the time) was sick on the day, I'd spent the past 2 hours bringing her temperature down, calming her and she'd flaked out asleep on me. 2 minutes before the agent got there she wet her pants - all over me! So agent turned up, dishes in sink, beds unmade and me just sitting there covered in child and wee. I didn't even get up, they used their own key to get in! They were a mum too and 100% understanding.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Joeee  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm in real estate and have done routine inspections. If the place is otherwise immaculate, I probably wouldn't really even notice a few dishes in the sink! What I mostly notice is if a place is filthy and clearly not being looked after. Sounds like you'll do just fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Joeee  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I would say the same as above until i had a bad real estate experience this past week. Some real estate managers have no idea and they are idiots.

Mop all your floors, make sure there is no dust anywhere (even in your own drawers as even though it is illegal they may check your personal items), make sure under beds is spotless, under rugs, window tracs, above bathroom cupboards. EVERYTHING.

I thought that checking a maintenance issue that i had to amend months ago was ok for them to enter. instead they took photos of everything at 9am and i start work at 7am with 2 kids. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING>

too much stress.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Joeee  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    I would say the same as above until i had a bad real estate experience this past week. Some real estate managers have no idea and they are idiots.

Mop all your floors, make sure there is no dust anywhere (even in your own drawers as even though it is illegal they may check your personal items), make sure under beds is spotless, under rugs, window tracs, above bathroom cupboards. EVERYTHING.

I thought that checking a maintenance issue that i had to amend months ago was ok for them to enter. instead they took photos of everything at 9am and i start work at 7am with 2 kids. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING>

too much stress.
    Oh my god!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all I think I'll start doing bits and pieces now so when it gets to next week I can just do a a general clean and tidy up (if I make it without bubs showing up)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For our inspections the agent took photos of every room (including garage), inside the oven, looked inside the bathroom cabinets, checked that lawn was being kept tidy.

I cleaned away any mold in the bathrooms, made sure toilets were clean, took all clutter from kitchen bench and from top of the bathroom benchtop, mopped, made sure the dishwasher and fridge were wiped down with stainless steel cleaner wipes so they looked clean too (toddler food handprints not a good look on these right?). And just general tidy up of clothes off floor and packing away all kids toys from loungeroom.

The garage was a absolute mess with boxes of stuff everywhere, but the agent was fine with it. I'm sure a few dishes in the sink wouldn't be an issue.

I went into crazy lady cleaning mode about two days before inspection.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Night Owl; 19-06-2014 at 23:03.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

Joeee  (20-06-2014)