+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is a product called a Dricast - it's like a latex bag or something that you put on and it seals to your skin. All the photos on the website show people swimming with them on. My husband got one when he was in a lower arm cast - his Dricast went all the way above the elbow. It comes with all the directions as to how to get it underwater (something about submerging it a bit at a time) - well worth a read, because the aforementioned husband did NOT take much notice of it and ended up with a wet cast after taking our little one to his swimming lesson. That was less than a week after the cast went on. He spent a lot of the next few days with a hairdryer, vacuum cleaner and a bag of rice.

If it is just your finger, could you get fitted with a thermoplastic splint? Not long after the broken hand story above, my husband then managed to break another finger - and he ended up needing a surgical procedure to pin it. A week after that, they fitted him with a thermoplastic splint and he was swimming and snorkelling on our holiday shortly after

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Even though its just the finger thats broken, I'm imagining the cast goes to the wrist at least.....
    Yeah I was just about to post that. It goes down past my wrist. Such a pain! Will look into the products available and see. Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sycx View Post

If it is just your finger, could you get fitted with a thermoplastic splint? Not long after the broken hand story above, my husband then managed to break another finger - and he ended up needing a surgical procedure to pin it. A week after that, they fitted him with a thermoplastic splint and he was swimming and snorkelling on our holiday shortly after
    Will ask them about that! Might be better than this ridiculous looking thing on my arm. Haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do the plastic bag and tape thing at work too but there's no way it would keep water out when you have your arm submerged for a long period of time and are using it and moving it around.
    I hope you can find something that works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    Will ask them about that! Might be better than this ridiculous looking thing on my arm. Haha.
    I work in hand therapy, and a splint isn't always suitable early on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to have a product we suggested for kids to go over there plasters, similar to the dricast mentioned previously but I can't remember the name of it. Haven't seen there brochures in a few years and I think they may have gone out of business, but that's in perth.

I'd google and see what's available.

I wouldn't suggest the plastic bag trick for swimming.

When giving education about plaster care our advice is tea towel around the arm/leg to collect condensation, bag, then tape around the top, BUT STILL KEEP IT OUT OF THE WATER. all the rest is to protect from splashes. Otherwise your pop will get wet and need replacing.

At your follow up appointment ask about the suitability of a thermoplastic splint. It may be that they can't do it for you and you will need to be referred to a private hand therapist but they should be able to tell you if it's an option.

Good luck, it's an absolute pain but isn't forever

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have a vet near you that does large animals (horses, cattle etc) contact them and ask if you can buy some internal exam gloves, they go right up to your shoulder but you could trim the excess off. Something like these:

http://www.farmerswarehouse.com.au/home.php?cat=541

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandamonium For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    PM me your address and I'll send you some shoulder length gloves if you like.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    PM me your address and I'll send you some shoulder length gloves if you like.
    That is so lovely. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    That is so lovely. Thank you.
    It would be lovely if I remembered to do it. I'm so sorry. I completely forgot.