+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you allergy test a needle phobic child?

Hoping someone here can help. Miss6 has a needle phobia, and I suspect has a nut allergy as well, at least to walnuts. I am loathe to put her through scratch tests because she is absolutely petrified to the point of curling up in a ball and screaming.
    But I'm seriously worried that she might have a serious undiagnosed allergy. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and found a way to do it? I've booked an appointment with a gp for next week, I'm going to ask for a referral to the Children's Hosp so I can feed her some nuts in a medical environment, where they can Epi her if she has a reaction. It's all I can think of. Help please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is having the scratch test next week. It's his second time. Have you seen it done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS2 had this test about a year ago. Just last week he saw one being done on TV and said something about "lucky they didn't do those needly scratchy things on me". I informed him that infact they did, and he couldn't believe it! The lady who did it was very good, had him sit on my lap facing me with his arm stuck out the side (with DD being on the other side being a goof and distracting him), and explained to him that she's going to give him a few little scratches.
    There's no needles involved. Have you told her that they'll give her a needle in an allergy test?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 12 month old never even flinched when he had his scratch test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There aren't any needles in a scratch test, I've had a couple done myself. You don't really feel it much at all, just a tiny scratch and then they put a drop of the allergens on each scratch. If you can distract her then she might not even notice much! The worst part is having a reaction because it itches like mad and you can't scratch it! Argh!

The immunologist will be able to advise you more about how to handle your DD if she is scared. But it's not a test to get too worried about, no big scary needles or injections or anything like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    we went through it a couple of times when ds was a 2 and 3 yrs and they don't actually use a "needle" if that helps, its more of a tack thing and they scratch the skin with then they put a drop of allegen on it... They are not the greatest indication either... there are lots of false positives or negatives etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She has had scratch tests and they completely freak her out. Ok it's not technically a needle but it involves breaking the skin and I would like to avoid it.

She freaked out watching Frozen - at the bit where the soldiers were firing arrows at Elsa in her ice palace. Even just looking at the arrows terrifies her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    She has had scratch tests and they completely freak her out. Ok it's not technically a needle but it involves breaking the skin and I would like to avoid it.

She freaked out watching Frozen - at the bit where the soldiers were firing arrows at Elsa in her ice palace. Even just looking at the arrows terrifies her.
    Because they do it on her back I would just lie. Tell her they've changed the test and they just draw on your back. I'm not looking forward to DS next week, he's 2.5 so probably far less aware of what's happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    can she scratch her own skin with the little tack thing and then just let the dr put the allergen on? I don't know if thats allowed or even a safe option but i remember the little tool they used to scratch ds's skin didn't look too dangerous and I imagine a 6 yr old might be big enough to do it...... just a thought???? don't know if its possible.

I know I can't stand when anyone else takes a splinter out of me... but Im able to do it myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Because they do it on her back I would just lie. Tell her they've changed the test and they just draw on your back. I'm not looking forward to DS next week, he's 2.5 so probably far less aware of what's happening.
    Yes her 2.5yo test was the first one she freaked out at. The 4yo immunisation shots were interesting, it took two nurses to hold her down and she screamed the place down. Her coeliac blood test was an absolute nightmare. I had to pin her down with my body while two nurses took blood.

I wonder if I could get away with telling her they were drawing on her back.