+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toddler hitting baby....

So more & more frequently my two year old seeks out my three month old mid-tantrum & hits him. The tantrums are always about something meaningless like his milk is all gone or he doesn't want to wear shoes today, but after screaming, trying to bite me,running away & hurting himself deliberately, he seeks his brother out & hits him.

I don't know what to do about it. I just can't get it into his head that hitting is not ok.

I don't know how to handle him anymore. We take a gentle approach to parenting, I don't know where this anger or violence comes from or how to stop it.

Does anyone else's toddler have episodes like this? How do you suggest I handle it?

It's becoming a daily occurance, I'm at my wits end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My toddler used to bite my baby mid tantrum, I think it was her way of getting her frustrations out. I tried telling her off, naughty corner, sending her to her room, taking away toys, etc. Absolutely nothing worked, until one day I bit her (not hard) so she could feel what it felt like. It is not advice you would ever get from a parenting book or super nanny, but it was very effective as she never did it again. So I'm not sure what my point is because I'm not recommending that you hit your toddler on the head, but you have to find a way to let him know that it's very painful to be hit on the head. Have you tried time outs etc yet?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi monkeysmummy, I would be stopping the tantrum before it gets to the point of seeking out the little brother. intervention is the best option. If your 2 yr old has such a big tantrum, that he hurts you and then himself and then his little brother, I would be doing everything to stop the tantrum. I m not recommending anything that I might suggest here, but I would remove him to his own room, or use some serious time out, not allowing any toys, or tv or whatever. If this has become his pattern it needs to be stopped and quickly. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My eldest used to hurt other people and the baby when she was born. It was a horrible horrible time. All I could do was explain to her why it was not ok. Then we introduced a 'quiet time' where she had to sit and calm down before she had to come and say sorry. It worked for us and she grew out of it.

Big hugs going from 1 to 2 is hard x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like its his way of getting your attention... you automatically stop what your doing and give him your attention.
    Next time it happens i would remove him from the room and put him some place by himself when there is no toys/tv etc. Try and do this WITHOUT saying a word...hard i know but it sounds to me like he is doing to get your attention...dont give it to him. Quietly and quickly remove him from the situation. If he moves from when you put him, take him back there without taking to him, dont even make eye contact. Yes this is hard but he will eventually get the idea.
    Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD1 is 2 and when she's tired keeps trying to kick my 6mo in the head. It only ever happens when she's really tired in the evenings. I see it coming now and just pick up DD2 and keep her safe and hurry DD1 to bed. It's sooo hard to keep your cool though when someone hurts your baby. The other day the were both on my bed and I saw her go to do it and I shoved her back and she back flipped off the bed (accidently!). I felt horribly mean but I'm not about to stand there and let her kick the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD who is 22 months old bites her nearly 5 yr old brother no advice sorry because I don't even know what to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey'sMummy View Post
    So more & more frequently my two year old seeks out my three month old mid-tantrum & hits him. The tantrums are always about something meaningless like his milk is all gone or he doesn't want to wear shoes today, but after screaming, trying to bite me,running away & hurting himself deliberately, he seeks his brother out & hits him.

I don't know what to do about it. I just can't get it into his head that hitting is not ok.

I don't know how to handle him anymore. We take a gentle approach to parenting, I don't know where this anger or violence comes from or how to stop it.

Does anyone else's toddler have episodes like this? How do you suggest I handle it?

It's becoming a daily occurance, I'm at my wits end.
    I had 2 2 years apart and if he threw tantrums like that we simply put him in our roof for time out until he calmed down we would tell him once he was calm he could come back out we do th same with our 3 year old too now I think the alone time gives them a few minutes to think and breath always works

Me + DP 01.03.2010 = DD 22.02.2011 + DS 20.01.2014 = <3