+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Packing hints and tips please!

We are moving interstate and need our house packed up for the removalists to load up on Tuesday morning. We've moved a LOT in the past but always with Defence, who do the pre pack for you - you pack your personal items ie clothes/bathroom and they do the rest!
    Please share some hints and tips that have helped you in the past. It's quite a big move and I'd like to minimise the chance that anything breaks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always have a couple of boxes that I put our essentials in-sheets, pillows, pjs, kettle, towels etc, mark them so they are obvious (bright coloured tape or something) so if nothing else when I'm exhausted after the move I can get to all the stuff I need to get everyone off to bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    If you have the time, sort as much stuff as you can & get rid of everything you dont need or want anymore and donate or sell them.

I packed an essentials suit case like a pp said. Start with easy stuff to get the ball rolling - like books - and label boxes well.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use shrink wrap. You can get it from bunnings, it's like a massive roll of glad wrap. Protects everything from furniture (we wrap wooden furniture in it) to whatever you like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And big puffy things like doonah etc you can squash with it, leave stuff in it you don't need when you get there, the uses are endless a removals company put us onto it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol I have moved a lot... Heres my system:

Have a good ruthless clearout before packing and during.

To minimise rubbish when unpacking - I use my excess linen and towels to pack all my breakables/glassware.

I always label the boxes with contents in texta in one colour and the room it is to go straight into in another colour and use this scheme for all boxes. Label breakables 'fragile' in big letters.

I use decent boxes, some removalists and storage places have boxes that are new and second hand but in good condition. This and really good packing tape. Double tape the bottom of the box and single tape the tops. Slice the tape when you remove it as you might be able to get a partial refund on the boxes.

I keep a bag or box with me (doesn't go on the truck) that has toilet paper, light globes, scissors, soap, papertowel, snacks n juice boxes, any nuts or bolts from furniture in separate labeled snaplock bags and the exact tools required to reassemble my furniture.

If I am loading the truck myself, I put boxes up the cab end of the truck then furniture. I use blankets and doonas to wrap fridges and tables and pack the qs mattress against the door as the very last item. I use ties (rope or nylon strapping) to secure the load every couple of metres to prevent avalanches when unloading.

I get all the boxes stacked together either in the rooms or in one room the night before. Label all the rooms the furniture is to go in at the new place using masking tape. Pull apart all the furniture that comes apart.

This has made me feel tired even just thinking about moving.... Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 32 weeks pregnant, so I'm exhausted just thinking about it too @Que Sera!
    We aren't having any pre pack unfortunately, doing it all ourselves to save money.
    Will look for some shrink wrap at buntings as well. Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Moving sucks but at least its not in the stinking summer heat. Hopefully you have a few helpers lined up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Amen! Ha ha. Yes lots of helpers, were very very lucky

12. The Following User Says Thank You to #Mama For This Useful Post:

Que Sera  (19-06-2014)