+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are a family of 2 adults, 9yr old & 18mth old plus a dog and a cat. I spend an average of $350 per fortnight.

I meal plan, check catalogues for specials & try to spread the cost of cleaning products across a couple of shops. I buy good quality food, Huggies nappies & wipes.

Before I started menu planning I wasted so much food, I menu plan every meal including snacks. We have the list of meals on the fridge and take turns choosing what we're eating, this really helps Miss 9 to eat her vegies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our menu plan this fortnight:

Breakfasts: crumpets, toast, porridge, cereal, weetbix, baked beans, eggs on toast, fruit.

Snacks: homemade pikelets, yoghurt, fruit, rice cakes, homemade doughnuts, crackers & cheese, chips.

Lunches: chicken/ham & salad wraps or sandwiches, cheese toasties, mini quiches, spread sandwiches.

Dinners: Roast & veg, pumpkin soup with garlic parmesan toasted baguette, spag bol, lemon chicken/greens/rice, chicken burritos & salad, chicken tacos, corned beef & veg, beef stroganoff, rissoles & veg, chicken curry & rice, freezer meal (this is an easy pre-prepared meal such as: fish & chips/chicken Kiev/pie & veg), steak & veg with mushroom sauce.
    - I allow for 2 days takeaway as well

Dessert: coconut tapioca pudding, Raspberry Almond Chocolate cake with rose water cream, ice cream, apple pie, banana & custard (we don't eat dessert every night)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (19-06-2014),MummaCat  (26-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For a family of 5 (6, 4, 2) with plenty of fruit and veg, good cuts, grain bread, DH's coffee, nappies, cleaning products, etc. It usually averages out to $200-$250 per week (usually more on the $250 side). We could cut it down more if we bought more of and cheaper carbs, but I have insulin resistance and can't fill up on those. DH also has his coffee addiction! We usually also entertain once a week also.

Ideas to consider:

* Go through pantry and throw things that are beyond use by date and see what you have left (it also makes it easier to see what you have so that it can be used) - use it up as best you can by planning meals around those ingredients

* Do the same with your fridge/freezer. If you have a split crisper make sure you keep your older fruit and veg in one side and fresher stock in the other side - use the older stuff first (unless it has gone past its usefulness obviously) Old apples can be thrown into a sausage curry or stewed (along with most fruit) and popped with some yoghurt for dessert/ made into a crumble, bananas made into cake/muffins.

* Write up a list for the week of what you need or want to have for meals (consider what veg you have left over) Only plan about 5 days ahead depending on fresh produce needed, otherwise it may go off before it can be used.

* When planning meals think about grouping your salad type meals together and your veg type meals together in the week that use similar ingredients so that for example if you buy a cauliflower, the whole cauliflower will get used. If only half a capsicum is required one night, the left over part can be used the following night before it starts to go sloppy and mouldy.

* If you open a jar of paste, specialty sauce, pesto, etc. and only use a portion of it, use a black marker to write the date it was opened on the lid if it has a 'use within 7 days/2 months' instruction. Left over pesto can be great to start off a pasta sauce or go into bolognese with your left over veg. Soup or quiche/pie is also a great use for left over veg. Left over Indian pastes can be used as a marinade for chicken or beef to have on top of a salad, etc.

* When you sit down to write your shopping list and meals for the week have the catalogue for that store sitting next to you and see what is on sale for the week. If something you need semi-regularly is half price it might be worth picking up in advance to save money further down the track. It may also give you inspiration for a meal, particularly if some produce is on a good sale or in season.

* Consider your week and the time you will have each afternoon to prepare the evening meal: Try and pick meals that are a mixture of 'batch' meals (create between 2-4 dinner's worth at once, with freezing the remainder for either later in the week or another week particularly if you have a couple of busier afternoons where it could be handy to have a quick meal ready from the freezer), quick prepare meals for when you might get caught (ie. salad wraps, meat and veg), slow-cook meals on days you are home or can leave it to cook itself, new dishes or more time-consuming when you know you will have time. If you are tired and stuck for time then you may avoid making some dishes in lieu of take away and your food will go to waste and will spend more money.

* Freeze decent sized leftovers for another night or store in fridge for following night rather than sending to work for leftovers unless it is an odd amount.

* When feeding the kids lunch check out what you have in the fridge that will not be used otherwise in the week - it's so good to be able to give them something different to try which is nutritional.

Not sure if any of these are helpful, but tend to be what I do during the week.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 19-06-2014 at 21:25.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sub :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Brilliant advice Littleted! Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by baby4us View Post
    We desperately need to do a budget, we spend (waste) way too much money on food. I can stick to a budget, if I have one. Just setting one up now, trouble is I don't know what to aim for.

What's a reasonable amount to spend on food for a family of 2 adults, 2 kids (4yo & 18mths)?
    I spend $150 a week

Me + DP 01.03.2010 = DD 22.02.2011 + DS 20.01.2014 = <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by baby4us View Post
    We desperately need to do a budget, we spend (waste) way too much money on food. I can stick to a budget, if I have one. Just setting one up now, trouble is I don't know what to aim for.

What's a reasonable amount to spend on food for a family of 2 adults, 2 kids (4yo & 18mths)?
    To ask what a reasonable amount is for food, for your family size, is probably not the right question your asking yourself.

because if someone says Im spending x amount, you might think you can or should too and its ok.

You need to ask yourself what are you wanting/needing to budget for.

What kind of money are you spending or wasting currently now on food ?

Do you buy alot of pre-packaged foods, frozen foods etc all those are over priced and rubbish.

Do you eat out often ? That is a huge strain on fiances.

Reasonable amount to spend on 2 adults and 2 kids, varies from family too family for simple fact, people are well off in different ways, others struggling dramaticly and making huge sacrifices in every facet possible and limit the amount of food, and quality of food they are consuming each week.

So alot of different factors there.

I have 4 kids and me, 17/12/9/4 and me.

It varies for us literally from week too week in how much is spent on food based on what money is needed for, and how far can I reduce my grocery bill for that week/fortnight.

With that taken into account that then reflects the quality of food we are eating and the overall shopping bill.

If we have good weeks, we eat better food, better cuts of meats that are not so cheap, roasts added in etc.

No real one size fits all.