+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Thinking of getting a treadmill

I am wanting to lose weight and then maintain it. In the past I could do this quite easily mainly by going for long walks. Now with the kiddies and dh working long hours I just can't seem to fit it in hence considering a treadmill (from eBay or gumtree)
    Do you have one and does it get much use? Or is it taking up valuable space and collecting dust?
    Last edited by Jontu; 19-06-2014 at 02:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes we have one, it's an expensive dust collector.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I bought one a couple of years ago and unfortunately it's been a dust collector for most of that time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. Did you use it initially? Is there a reason why it's collecting dust eg. too boring, too noisy, can't be bothered?

I mentioned to dh and he thinks I won't use it. I have some weights and exeecise videos which have been untouched for years.
    I just don't know how else to try and get exercise. Walking is the only thing I enjoy. However I don't want a big heavy machine not getting used either. What to do???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours is great for hanging the ironing on! Well it would be IF I ever ironed! It takes up valuable space, I intend to use it but never seem to...I'd dust off your exercise DVDs and give them a go first.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyLouise For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got one about 6 years ago, and mostly it doesn't get used. It did at the start - I ran lots to get fit before my wedding (and ran an over-active dobermann on it every day!), but since then I have used it in spurts a few times. I think to get the most use out of one it needs to be set up in it's own room - storing and pulling them in/ out of rooms can be a real pain. Hopefully ours will be in a gym area in our workshop soon and get more use (it's currently in a corner of the dining room). Perhaps hiring one could be a good option to start?

ETA: reasons it doesn't really get used it because I can't use it during the day with 2 little kids who want to climb on it, I have to pull it out and set it up in front of the tv which is a pain, and it's too noisy to use at night when kids have gone to bed.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 19-06-2014 at 08:03.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking I could go on the treadmill while watching tv after kids in bed but am worried the machine would be too noisy and I would have to turn tv up too much.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have one and use it regularly it's quite noisy, but not enough to wake the kids. I have it set up in the study and watch things on my iPad. It's against a wall and folds right up, really simple to put up and down and doesn't take up too much room when folded.
    What about a bike? Much quieter and cheaper too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I rented a treadmill before buying one and I used it most nights. It was kept downstairs so using it didn't bother anyone upstairs and I didn't have to deal with the kids wanting to hop on.

Currently i live in a tiny unit and the treadmill is kept in the lounge room. If i use it the kids want to play. It's also quite noisy so the TV needs to be cranked up loud if someone is watching it. I also need to consider neighbours so can't use it late at night when they are probably trying to sleep. Although, I think ultimately it comes down to the fact that motivation wanes over time. We always find excuses not to exercise.
    I want to find the motivation to get up half an hour early and start using it again... maybe one day soon..lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I have one. I use it 3-4 times a week. I find it easier then going to the gym as I work full time. Also have a sit up bench, exercise ball, weights and skipping rope. I go through stages but find that once I get into it for about 3 weeks or so it doesn't feel as much like a chore

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-06-2014)