+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oops sorry..yu gi oh!!! Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure if you'll go for this. I was picked on and bullied at school. I was geeky, nerdy, and too terrified of getting into trouble to stand up to anyone, teachers or students. It was unbearable. In hindsight, what I wish my mother had done was give me permission to disobey the teachers. Eg. (For me) If the teachers won't listen when you tell then you're being bullied and need to get out of the playground, leave school grounds and treat yourself to lunch in a cafe, just be back for class.

In this case, your son sounds like a genuinely well behaved, nice kid. If the teacher has laid out a dumb rule, tell him not to be afraid, to assess the dumb rule, and how important it is to obey it. He'll be more scared of consequences from you than his teachers. Tell him to take his cards, and play them on the sly, somewhere out of the way. If he gets caught, buy some more and do it again. Kids need to learn which rules to obey and which are stupid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ahhh gotta love Aspie kids... @Tamtam I suggested your idea, he thought it was ok and asked what books he should bring... I suggested a Yu-gi-oh rule book, he said they've read it and know it off by heart, I suggested his Lego ideas books (hardcover) but he said the spine would get dinted on the corners from being in his bag, I suggested his Lego magazines, he was horrified because they have just paper covers and they would get creased. LOL.
    So I suggested perhaps we could see what the library has, and he seems content at this idea.
    Hard. work. LOL.

Sally- I did think of that idea, but he is not a rule breaker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I personally wouldn't encourage him to take the cards. It's only going to reinforce to the teachers that wanted them banned, that these type of cards bring out negative behaviour. There is nothing wrong with challenging authority persay, it's how you do it.

Have him sit down on the weekend and write an Exposition of sorts (he would of covered this in year 3 and 4) as to why he and his mates should be allowed to bring their cards. Have him outline the positives for his group and the fact that a blanket rule for students who have not been selling them or being silly, is unfair. Then take it in to the Principal or teacher.

This will show he is thoughtful and mature, abiding by the rules by gently challenging them with well thought out arguments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I'm sorry to sound so rude, but that's a pretty cr@ppy bunch of teachers who don't have enough control or influence over their students to get them packing cards up more quickly and to stop this behaviour. I feel so cross for your son. I hope this blows over quickly, because what it is teaching kids is that even if you do the right thing you can still suffer for it.

This, this, this.. It's so unfair to punish the ones that do the right thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

Have him sit down on the weekend and write an Exposition of sorts (he would of covered this in year 3 and 4) as to why he and his mates should be allowed to bring their cards. Have him outline the positives for his group and the fact that a blanket rule for students who have not been selling them or being silly, is unfair. Then take it in to the Principal or teacher.
    He's actually already decided to do this! It's public speaking season, they've been practicing all term and the 'proper' ones start first week back next term. He's unsure if he's going to do "why card games should be allowed at school", as he's worried the teachers might get annoyed at him, or if he'll do a more subtle "card games are good for kids".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

delirium  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    He's actually already decided to do this! It's public speaking season, they've been practicing all term and the 'proper' ones start first week back next term. He's unsure if he's going to do "why card games should be allowed at school", as he's worried the teachers might get annoyed at him, or if he'll do a more subtle "card games are good for kids".
    Excellent! I say he should go for it! Good teachers like their students to think outside the box and form intelligent thoughtful arguments so I don't think they will be angry. In fact, this may just be the catalyst to get the teachers back on side.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

CMF  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I would.