+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,997
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,895
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But this is why blanket bans are unfair. One should one group suffer because some can't play nice. When our school did this the parents upset handled it very calmly with the principal directly and she overturned the ban and the rat bag kids were dealt with. so much fairer.
    Yeah I totally agree with you. I just think the way the school needs to handle it is to be like 'we were rethinking and we were unfair so we will deal with those doing the wrong thing' rather than 'DS's mum came in and because of that these boys can be exempt' iykwim?

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (18-06-2014)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,004
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yeah I totally agree with you. I just think the way the school needs to handle it is to be like 'we were rethinking and we were unfair so we will deal with those doing the wrong thing' rather than 'DS's mum came in and because of that these boys can be exempt' iykwim?
    Completely agree.

  4. #13
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,997
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,895
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Sonja sorry your post at #10 came up on my app as quoting me at first? Which was why I responded to you by quoting. Weird.

  5. #14
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,410
    Thanks
    5,373
    Thanked
    5,815
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would go talk to the teacher ... and explain exactly what you have explained here.

    They are not trading them - they are playing cards. totally different scenario

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So I asked ds how he went today, he said it was bad, he was bored and they tried doing other things but it just ended in disageeements. I went and spoke to the teacher. She said it wasn't her decision, it was the deputy principal's after a lengthy staff meeting about it. She said that she and some of the other teachers thought it was not a good idea, due to boys like my ds who use these cards appropriately and also to their benefit ie to keep them out of harms way. Some of the other teachers however wanted the ban, due to some kids flicking cards, selling cards, and takingtoo long to pack the cards up when the bell goes.She recommended to me and also some of the boys who approached her about it today, that they stick to the ban for the rest of this term, and then hopefully it'll all blow over and the teacher is going to maybe suggest a trial reintroduction next term.

    I thought this outcome wasn't too bad. Ds said so too, but is still devastated, as it's still TWO WEEEKS of no lunchtime yu-gi-oh. So i will see how he goes I guess.

    Sorry for typos...

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    717
    Thanks
    780
    Thanked
    240
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

    is there a suitable board game that could act as a substitute until next term? I know it would be a little more bulky but at least it might keep ds and his friends entertained and out of harms way.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,160
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked
    3,395
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Would the pokemon magazines be acceptable at school? Can't you get them at the news agent or woolies/coles? Maybe the boys could bring one each to pour over at break times? Looking at the pictures and stuff?

    Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  9. #18
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,997
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,895
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    So I asked ds how he went today, he said it was bad, he was bored and they tried doing other things but it just ended in disageeements. I went and spoke to the teacher. She said it wasn't her decision, it was the deputy principal's after a lengthy staff meeting about it. She said that she and some of the other teachers thought it was not a good idea, due to boys like my ds who use these cards appropriately and also to their benefit ie to keep them out of harms way. Some of the other teachers however wanted the ban, due to some kids flicking cards, selling cards, and takingtoo long to pack the cards up when the bell goes.She recommended to me and also some of the boys who approached her about it today, that they stick to the ban for the rest of this term, and then hopefully it'll all blow over and the teacher is going to maybe suggest a trial reintroduction next term.

    I thought this outcome wasn't too bad. Ds said so too, but is still devastated, as it's still TWO WEEEKS of no lunchtime yu-gi-oh. So i will see how he goes I guess.

    Sorry for typos...
    I'm sorry to sound so rude, but that's a pretty cr@ppy bunch of teachers who don't have enough control or influence over their students to get them packing cards up more quickly and to stop this behaviour. I feel so cross for your son. I hope this blows over quickly, because what it is teaching kids is that even if you do the right thing you can still suffer for it.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

    angelini  (09-07-2014),Carpe diem 2013  (19-06-2014),LoveLivesHere  (19-06-2014),Tamtam  (19-06-2014)

  11. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you should say something OP. You're within your rights to advocate for your child to be happy at school. It's an ill thought out response and I have no doubt if you state your case they will change it. You have nothing to lose by sharing your DS perspective.

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe diem 2013 View Post
    Hi

    is there a suitable board game that could act as a substitute until next term? I know it would be a little more bulky but at least it might keep ds and his friends entertained and out of harms way.
    Hmm I don't know about board games. I think they may have tried something like that before but due to their social inadequacies it causes issues. I also think it would take too long to pack up when the bell goes. Thanks though for the suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Would the pokemon magazines be acceptable at school? Can't you get them at the news agent or woolies/coles? Maybe the boys could bring one each to pour over at break times? Looking at the pictures and stuff?

    Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That's a great idea! Not Pokemon though, they would be horrified at that suggestion LOL. My DS loves to pour over new books/magazines/catalogues, and will do it for days on end.

    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I'm sorry to sound so rude, but that's a pretty cr@ppy bunch of teachers who don't have enough control or influence over their students to get them packing cards up more quickly and to stop this behaviour. I feel so cross for your son. I hope this blows over quickly, because what it is teaching kids is that even if you do the right thing you can still suffer for it.
    It's a pretty big school, I understand that chasing kids from all corners of the grounds would be time consuming. That said, I don't know why they can't just have a strict approach on it; if you are late you have to stay back, or whatever else suitable consequence.
    I do hope it blows over too. And yes DS gets the sh!ts at how many times he is punished for something he didn't do (would NEVER do, he's a stickler for rules), because they punish the class/school as a whole, instead of individually.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Do I ask Teacher?
    By heated in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-05-2014, 11:59
  2. HELP! NSW Temporary Teacher
    By CharlieSuki in forum Maternity Leave
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 10:34
  3. Teacher Appreciation
    By Raising Leprechauns in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 18:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Wendys Music School
Wendy’s Music School. Experience, Quality and great service! For qualifying students we will get you playing or singing your favourite music in 90 days GUARANTEED! Book a free assessment online now!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!