+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are my rights as a tenant?

Hi lovely bubhubbers. I was wondering if any of you would be able to give me some advice.

I've been renting a granny flat on the Gold Coast for a month and on my property there is a storage shed.

New neighbours have just moved in next door (attached to my granny flat but completely separate) and have been entering my property to gain access to the storage shed.

I was not made aware by the landlord that they have been granted use of the storage shed on my property. Nothing has been stipulated in my tenancy agreement about the use of the storage shed.

The neighbours are nice but I am not comfortable with them entering through my gate as they please to access stuff. I feel that I can't keep my curtains open etc.

On another note, the landlord has not lodged my bond with the RTA which I've been told is a criminal offence.

I wouldn't have moved here if I'd have known the neighbours would be allowed to come onto my property to use the shed. I'm paying an exorbitant amount as it is.

How should I go about this? Could I try to get a reduction in rent?

I've not had a very good time of late

Thanks in advance xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Call the Rental tenancy authority. They will help you.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

happypeanut  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Who does the storage she'd belong too ? If it's not on your lease it sounds like it must be on their lease if they are using it and yes it's illegal not to lodge the bond money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Call your local tenancy advocacy service. They are great for advice and help in such situations.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only verbal agreements about the storage shed have been made through the landlord. Nothing has been written in my agreement or there's.

The main issue for me is that the shed is on my property and I wasn't ever made aware that the neighbour would be allowed to use it. I think my right to privacy has been impeded as they just enter my property as they please. I hate hearing my gate open as I have extreme anxiety and worry that I'm being robbed or they are going to see inside my house.

I know I might be over reacting but I wouldn't have entered into an agreement knowing the neighbours could walk into my yard whenever they wanted. I thought $300 per week would at least allow me complete privacy.

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you in a written lease at all? If you can get on a written one it may help you later if more things go pear shaped. Even landlords not using real estate agents can do written leases. They cannot just hold your bond under any circumstances, it must be lodged and you will know when this happens as the RBTA will send a receipt direct to you fairly swiftly.

Here is the link for the QLD renters pocket guide:
    http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Resources/...d-version.ashx

This is the main site:
    https://www.rta.qld.gov.au

good luck!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

happypeanut  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I have signed a written lease. It's very simple and the only "special terms" written are to clean up after my dog.

The rta checked and there has been no lodgement of my bond.

I'm not sure how to approach this whole situation without looking like I'm "causing trouble". I just want my privacy and thought I'd at least be entitled to that.

I'm very offended the landlord gave permission for the neighbours to go on my property without running anything past me.

Sorry for the vent!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to happypeanut For This Useful Post:

Que Sera  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happypeanut View Post
    Yes I have signed a written lease. It's very simple and the only "special terms" written are to clean up after my dog.

The rta checked and there has been no lodgement of my bond.

I'm not sure how to approach this whole situation without looking like I'm "causing trouble". I just want my privacy and thought I'd at least be entitled to that.

I'm very offended the landlord gave permission for the neighbours to go on my property without running anything past me.

Sorry for the vent!

Can you bring the bond lodgement up really casually ie "I am still waiting for my bond receipt from the RBTA, have you received yours yet? Pretty sure we should have got them by now!"

What is on your lease about yards etc? Is the yard on your lease but not the shed? That would be a little odd if the only access is via your yard. (Sorry if you have already stated this) Do you know whether the shed is on the other tennants lease or just on loan to them?

If the yard is on your lease, you could mention to your landlord that you would like to start locking the gate for your own security and see what they say about the shed. Be as nice as pie of course, "oh I thought the yard was on my lease, how does that work if the yard is mine but you are letting the shed to someone else??"

Talk it through with one of your legal centres or renting authorities, as they can advocate for you if landlord gets difficult.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

happypeanut  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you, that's a good way of asking them about bond lodgement (lack thereof!)

Nothing is stated on the lease about the yard or shed. He has just verbally given permission to myself and the neighbour to use it. The only way to access it is to walk through my yard.

I'm still so mad that nothing was put past me about this. The neighbour left my gate wide open when I got home the other day and littered my lawn with a cigarette butt. Ugh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, your landlord could do a much better job of keeping tennants happy. Good tennants are hard to find, your landlord sounds like they are either clueless or a bit dodgy.

Who maintains the yard, you or the landlord?