+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Random screaming

Our little boy aged about 21 months has in the last few days started screaming/screeching for no apparent reason. He's not upset or angry. He does it with a smile on his face. I think he's doing it for attention? But it's soooo loud and soooo annoying and I'm wondering if the neighbours think I'm stabbing him with sharp knives.

Please someone tell me it's a phase and it'll stop. And tell me what you think I should do in response? I don't want to be inadvertently encouraging his behaviour. I tell him he's being loud and hurting mummy's ears; I try ignore it; I try not to yell back because I've always found it odd that someone would shout "stop shouting" at another person.

He's also in the last few days started to resist me when I try to dress him. I'm wondering if all this is the start of the "terrible twos" I've heard and read about?

Any advice for this unhappy mummy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no advice for you except to say that some of my mates kids have been through this behaviour and it was affectionately called 'pterodactyling'. On the upside... They never lost their kids in crowded rooms or shops. Hang in there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

debsch  (18-06-2014)

matalee is offline The greater the fight, the greater the victory
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DS does the screaming thing too. He's 22 months & has been doing it for about 3 months. We've taught him that we use quiet voices inside & he can scream all he wants outside. He still does the occasional scream now but it's normally if he's frustrated, trying to be funny or not getting his way. It's loud.
    He is testing us with getting dressed, too. I normally grab a toy he likes & tell him when he has changed his clothes he can play with the toy. Most times it works.

TTC 10 years & finally got our miracle bub............finally!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to matalee For This Useful Post:

debsch  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey!! I know this thread is a couple of weeks old now but just wanted to say that you are not alone! My son turns two in a couple of weeks and for the last 3 ish months he has been screaming randomly, very loud and very painful! He doesn't do it so often now, he screams when frustrated etc but he has a few more words under his belt to describe how he's feeling so he uses those more often. It's a painful phase I know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl is 2 and she still does it mainly when we are out and she wants to leave. It's embarrassing when she does it in shops or when we are eating out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's probably not going to work for everyone, but I scream back lol. It scared the crud out of her the first time I did it, but she giggles and claps. When she runs away I pretend to be a dinosaur and chase her down for tickles, roaring the whole time. It's actually a pretty fun game and she gets bored of it pretty quickly. It's a wonder my 6month old sleeps at all lol
    I've noticed she does like to annoy me and will always do things I've gotten cranky at her for, like throwing blocks behind the treadmill or stealing my phone. I try to distract her and move onto things I can praise her for, she loves helping me with DD2, so I get her to get me a dummy or to cover Bub with a blanket. If that fails I get her to get her favourite toys, and if everything else fails we look at cats on the ipad