+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    thanks ladies! I'm going to adjust the tether strap today & see if that will stop the movement, and if not I'll look into getting it's installation checked by someone.

Edit: just tightened the tether strap & I can still wobble it at the top with very little effort. It seems a bit better than before though. Not sure how tight the tether strap should be though, the instructions just say 'firm'
    When you have a seat rear facing then you should only pull the tether tight enough to remove the slack otherwise you can pull the restraint up off the car seat.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks. Well then there's definitely no way of getting it to stop wobbling by tightening the tether strap.

Oh & I just put a 3kg bottle in the seat & tried wobbling the top again & it didnt seem to make much difference (DH was convinced that the weight of the baby would stop it).

I dont think it would wobble if we were just driving (going over bumps etc), but It doesnt seem loose enough to do that. But it would definitely move in a side impact accident. DH reckons thats good cause it 'moves the baby away from the impact' but im not sure if its right or not.

Guess we'll have to get it checked again. Can anyone recommend a good professional installer who knows what they are doing, in the brisbane area? Preferably someone who works weekends or can come to us (I dont drive & I dont think DH can get anymore time off work).

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks. Well then there's definitely no way of getting it to stop wobbling by tightening the tether strap.

Oh & I just put a 3kg bottle in the seat & tried wobbling the top again & it didnt seem to make much difference (DH was convinced that the weight of the baby would stop it).

I dont think it would wobble if we were just driving (going over bumps etc), but It doesnt seem loose enough to do that. But it would definitely move in a side impact accident. DH reckons thats good cause it 'moves the baby away from the impact' but im not sure if its right or not.

Guess we'll have to get it checked again. Can anyone recommend a good professional installer who knows what they are doing, in the brisbane area? Preferably someone who works weekends or can come to us (I dont drive & I dont think DH can get anymore time off work).

Let me ask around and I'll try and get a few names.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh is a mechanic has fitted car seats. Ours had what *I* think is a lot of movement but he assures me it's fine. The base doesn't move at all and there is no slack in the tether. One way to get it firm without becoming to upright is to put cut pool noodles under the base if your installer didn't.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been given 2 names. 1 is lollipops baby hire and the other is Kidsafe at herston. Hope one of them can help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok it seems like its correctly installed. So I guess it was just me not knowing anything.

Still having issues with how far forward the front seat has to be though. DH is flat out refusing to get anither car seat now & says we will have to make it work. I stood the back of the passenger seat up really straight & now it is useable even if its not comfortable.

However my concern now is this - im finding that while I had no trouble getting the seatbelt to sit under my bump before, now that the seat is so straight it rolls the bottom part of the belt up onto my bump & the only way to stop it is for me to hold it down for the entire drive. Any ideas to combat that as its not safe to have the belt sitting on the baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    You might have a baby seat that has a recline latch. It will be in the Fully reclined position for a newborn then you can move the recline up slightly as they get older (although not enough that their head slumps forward when asleep). Check out fb page rear facing down under and ask an expert, I'm rear facing my kids until at least 3 so have ages to go with the minimal leg space at the front! OS seats are more compact, I gave a European SUV and have the problem too.
    All Australian RF seats must be fully reclined at all times, you cannot move it when they're older.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks ladies! I'm going to adjust the tether strap today & see if that will stop the movement, and if not I'll look into getting it's installation checked by someone.

Edit: just tightened the tether strap & I can still wobble it at the top with very little effort. It seems a bit better than before though. Not sure how tight the tether strap should be though, the instructions just say 'firm'
    As long as the base moves no more than an inch side to side, it's fine. Movement at the wings is normal and shouldn't be how you base a 'solid' install. Tether should be taut, not tight. You don't want to over tighten it, just take the slack out of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a capsule and an imprezza and a passenger seat now only used by tiny people...

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I have a pillow between the bar and the seat - the back seats in the imprezza recline too much for proper contact. Im not sure how it goes with a convertible seat though..