+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Rear-facing car seat issues

We had our car seat installed today. It went in behind the passenger seat.

We dont have a tiny car, its a subaru imprezza. The passenger seat had to come all the way forward to accomodate as I believe it is not allowed to touch the baby seat. Even now there is only a small gap between the back of passenger seat & the baby seat.

But this means the front passenger seat is unuseable as it is so far forward that even if I wasnt pregnant my legs would be jammed under the dashboard & im not even tall. Im pretty sure that would be really dangerous in a crash.

Is that really right? Can we really not use our front seat for the next 12 months/till bubby goes forward-facing?

I had no idea it would be such an issue with a medium sized car.

I only have 2 weeks to go so cant really change the seat now, we had enough issues getting it installed in the first place. So I think we really need to find a way to make it work as we wont be able to return it to the store once bubby has used it.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Change the baby seat into the middle.

Our is in the middle of our Navara and doesn't touch either seat, although it comes close.

Can't believe there isn't enough room in an Imprezza?! Weird!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours is the same. Lucky I'm only 5ft2, but I'm am scarily close to the dash. Dh has to drive everywhere and sits in the back when he's had a drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It cant go in the middle because it would mean the drivers seat would also have to come forward to accomodate as the middle seat is narrow. DH is the main driver & is tall so its not possible for the drivers seat to be moved forward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The front seat can touch but not put any pressure on the car seat but ideally you should be able to put a finger between the 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I havr a subaru forester and when dd was rear facing it was the same story, passenger seat all the way forward.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours can't go in the middle either. How far back do you have it reclined? My seat is more upright than I would normally have it but it mean I could push it back another couple of inches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's interesting that different cars have that issue and some don't. SIL had the same problem as you OP, and she drives a Mazda3. Their front passenger seat was unusable while their DD was rear facing, and they are looking at new cars now that they are expecting #2.

My car is a Hyundai Elantra, and DD is rear facing behind the passenger seat and there is enough room for DH in the front. He complains about lack of leg room, but he's still comfortable.

It seems like some cars are bigger on the inside than others. SIL's Mazda3 seems bigger on the outside, but very cramped on the inside compared to my Elantra.

I think like a PP suggested, you can try moving your car seat to the middle seat. From what I've heard about car seats, they only make them narrower or wider, the depth of the seat remains the same so a different seat probably wouldn't help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its too wide for the middle seat - dh would need to move his seat forward when driving & he's tall so thats not an option.

I'll have a look at the recline of the passenger seat, maybe that will give us a tiny bit more space.

I just checked & even if we do have the back if the seat touching the baby seat my knees still hit the dash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You might have a baby seat that has a recline latch. It will be in the Fully reclined position for a newborn then you can move the recline up slightly as they get older (although not enough that their head slumps forward when asleep). Check out fb page rear facing down under and ask an expert, I'm rear facing my kids until at least 3 so have ages to go with the minimal leg space at the front! OS seats are more compact, I gave a European SUV and have the problem too.