Closed Thread
Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Myheart: I travelled to Cape Town last year and had 2 embryos transferred and now have 14 week old twins. My partner and I just thought that it was such a long way to go to just transfer one and after considering the possibility of having twins we decided that we could manage. I was more concerned about the health risks for them (problems at birth and developmentally as children) but decided that I would just deal with whatever happened no matter what.

When we found out that I was pregnant with twins my Ob. here made it very clear the risks I was facing, in particular pre-eclampsia and premature birth, which spooked me a lot (he wasn’t one to mince his words) and he was certain that I would deliver early. Despite that though I had a smooth pregnancy and delivered with a scheduled Cesarean virtually at full term at 37+3 weeks (38 weeks is considered full term for twins). My babies were 2.6 and 2.9kg so, although smallish, they were a good weight for twins. They didn’t need any extra care at all after birth which was a tremendous relief and have continued to grow and progress well.

I had no real problems throughout my pregnancy apart from minor aches and pains. I didn’t even have morning sickness which was a great surprise as I expected the symptoms of everything to be doubly bad for carrying twins. I did feel hugely fatigued during the first trimester but that’s normal just for one baby. It wasn’t until about week 30 that I really started to feel that I was carrying twins – I packed on the weight at a great rate and suffered badly swollen ankles, not due to pre-eclampsia though. So while I found the last few weeks of pregnancy really hard going being so heavy so quickly and with painful feet, I felt lucky that I had made it that far into the pregnancy with no real issues.

It’s a tough decision deciding how many to transfer but I’m so glad we made the choice we did. We are so blessed to have two healthy baby boys and we have our instant family. There’s no doubt that there was worry in the back of my mind throughout the pregnancy but we just took one week at a time. Every couple has to decide for themselves what is right for them given the possibilities but for us it was absolutely the right decision.

Good luck with the decision you make. I wish you and everyone here the very, very best of luck on your journeys. May all your dreams come true

Amethyst x

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst13 For This Useful Post:

Biba jani  (20-06-2014),laned  (18-06-2014),MGC Bertie  (18-06-2014),Sunflower11  (18-06-2014),Sunny15  (19-06-2014),Tittle  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    everyone!

Twowhites, so sorry to read about your FET and keeping everything crossed with you for your next trip soon.

KLM, fab news on booking your flights and hope your accomm is sorted soon too. Makes it all feel super exciting & scary once they are booked, hope everything goes super smooth for you.

Welcome hopeforall! Because of age and hence egg reserve most of us have a low AMH and using young donor eggs will hopefully lead us all to our dream families. Good luck with choosing your donor. Hubby and i had our list of 'must haves' in a donor. I shortlisted on the high level and we both then chose our preferred and narrowed down to our top 3, it was quite surreal to start with and i felt so bad ruling out these amazing girls wanting to help us. I then emailed the agency on our preferred asking for some more info on previous cycle history as she had donated before etc plus some extra medical information that was necessary for us. They were very honest in sharing she had not done well and had only gotten 4 eggs which did not lead to a baby. They then sent a profile of a donor who was shortly coming back available and when hubby and i read her profile we both knew she was the one. Just get as much info as you can and then i just think you need to follow your gut. We were also told from our agency we couldn't 'hold' a donor for longer than 3-4 months so if you are almost decided on your donor you should definitely be able to fit in a cycle this year. It is a lot of money and a big gamble but as you'll see on this board there are so many wonderful success stories. I too had the same worries and still do as we are waiting to see if we have a heartbeat on Friday each step has its different sets of concerns. It is scary and takes so much out of you emotionally, physically and of course financially but the thought of not giving it a go was even worse.

Sunny15, bless your little one, but sounds like the hospital and Dr's did a fantastic job and hopefully he settles soon. Enjoy every second of those cuddles.

Myheart, my FS in Oz only wanted me to transfer 1 blastocyst but similarly to sunny15 i was pretty much decided in my head on 2. When we got such low eggs at collection and on day 3 (4 embryos) and then only 3 blastocycst at day 5 i even asked to have all 3 back to both my husbands and Dr LR horror who both very quickly said no, which is probably just as well as there is a big chance we are having twins after seeing 2 sacs last week. I am now praying with all my heart that even though twins does come with some extra risks I will be so disappointed if we do not see 2 heartbeats on friday. You just need to do what is right for you both.

Tittle, bless you hon. it is such a stressful time and is even more frustrating when we find our bodies do not seem to be doing what we think they should be but please do not worry about the extra weight right now. Hopefully you hear back from your Dr asap but sure it will all be ok. I was worried as i really didn't get a period before my cycle, it was only a couple of days of light spotting and was worried my lining hadn't shed properly in preparation for building it up but it was ok. They really know what they are doing with the drug amounts they prescribe so know they will look after you. We are all here for you.

MrsErin, CongratulationsSuper news! Roll on Friday's beta result. Thanks for the FET info too.

Luca, fab news on down payment, it will not be long till you are booking those flights and accom. I went to the Kruger on a previous trip in 2010 but we were staying near there and it was great and worth it if you have time, but there are closer ones to CT but unfortunately i cannot comment personally on these as we did not make it.

Emski, hope the morning sickness has eased for you.

Thembs, hope the 2ww is being kind to you.

Cloggy, how are you, been thinking of you and hope you had a good rest of your holiday.

Amethyst, it does give me hope reading about your twins experience and that you and they are doing so well. I really hope i get to follow in your footsteps.

xx

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunflower11 For This Useful Post:

KLM0511  (18-06-2014),Luca  (19-06-2014),Tittle  (19-06-2014),Twowhites  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sunflower - so glad you posted as I could not remember who had posted their exciting news about seeing two sacs. Congrats Hun and wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy. I don't know...I'm sure they threw my brain out with the placenta

Two whites - likewise sorry to hear about the FET result.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laned For This Useful Post:

Sunflower11  (18-06-2014),Twowhites  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone

MrsErin- huge Congratulations!!

Just a quick update. I had my blood test today and it's positive, Beta 534, will test again on Friday. Still in shock as I had no symptoms like Sunflower. I'm still in disbelief and hyper:smileydance:

Good luck to everyone, hope you all have your wishes come true.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thembs For This Useful Post:

Biba jani  (20-06-2014),ejj87  (24-06-2014),Sunflower11  (19-06-2014),twirlywhirl  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    MrsErin and Thembs - what wonderful wonderful news for you both!
    Huge congratulations to you both on your BFPs! And what awesome numbers too!!!!
    Lots of BFPs at the moment is sooo lovely to see!

AFM - Hubby has finally agreed its time to start the ball rolling for DE in SA. We are now officially starting the paperwork and donor search and looking at heading over in Sept or Oct. Yay it's finally happening!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mardicharli For This Useful Post:

thembs  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woohoo Thembs, big congratulations :-)!!!!!

Good luck MardiCharli. You'll get lots of good information here.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

mardicharli  (19-06-2014),thembs  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats Thembs! Wonderful news

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KLM0511 For This Useful Post:

thembs  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thembs, Fantastic news and fab beta result! Smiley dances with you xx

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunflower11 For This Useful Post:

thembs  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks laned! He he about baby brain, I'm already seeming to forget things can we have it this early

Great news mardi, was the hardest but definitely the best decision we ever made.

Thanks to everyone here! xx

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunflower11 For This Useful Post:

mardicharli  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Congratulations Thembs!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

thembs  (19-06-2014)