+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A Song of Ice and Fire *GoT* book discussion

Thought it was time us book worms had a thread where we can openly discuss the books and theories without worrying about spoilers for the tv series people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So Azor Ahai and the 3 heads of the dragon. Martin says that the 3 heads need not be Targaryen so who could they be.....
    Last edited by Demonica; 18-06-2014 at 09:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I spend far too much time thinking about those books & what's likely to happen!

My money is on R+L=J for the third head of the dragon.

There's a theory out there that Varys has Targaeryean (can't rely on auto correct for that one!) blood but I can't remember the details of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Demonica, such a great idea. I do think I need to re-read the books now as I can't remember a lot of bits that the TV show missed or didn't touch on. Plus, I loved them and actually felt a bit lost when I finished reading them and realised the next book was not going to be available until 2015!
    @ChickyBee, Possibly it's pregnancy brain, but I gave myself major brain strain figuring out who the "R", "L" and "J" was you were referring to. Got it now. The books have danced around who Jon Snow's parents were for such a long time but I agree with your theory.

I haven't really given much thought to who the third head of the dragon is. But I just can't wait for the story to continue. So amazingly well written. These are some of the most gripping books I've read in years. Funnily enough I only started reading them as a censor for SS. I never imagined I would get into them as much as I did.

While I've enjoyed the TV series for it's great cast and basic entertainment value, it's kind of disappointing when compared to the books. There's lots of subtleties that are completely missed. I read somewhere that George R.R. Martin wanted more episodes each season but they're just too expensive to make. It must be hard for the author to see his work translated on screen but without the precision that he put into the books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm half way through my second time. You miss so much the first time and then all the articles online that go even deeper....

The series, even though I love it bugs me. It's missed so much and added stupid things. Not entirely sure why they felt they needed to bring the children of the forest into it so early. Was also kind of annoyed that we didn't see The Mountain screaming in agony like he's supposed to be thanks the poison (I was so looking forward to it). It's funny though that the book never quite got into the mountain becoming Sir Robert Strong and yet the series has fairly blatantly pointed it out that he will be saved but he won't be himself.

The 3 heads if they are Targaryen would make it Dany, Jon and Aegon (the boy on his way to Dany) but there are those that think Tyrion could be one of the heads.

I need the next book lol. The only thing I hate about the series is the fact it takes Martin away from writing and he's so damn slow!!!! It was supposed to be released this year but if what I've heard is true he's barely written 150 pages and all the books are over 1000 each

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What are the best sites for the in depth articles??

Yeah what the hell are they going to do with Bran next season?

The fact that people thought that Arya liked the Hound too much to kill me demonstrates to me that the show hasn't really nailed the complexities of Arya's character... Those people will get a shock when she becomes an uber-assassin lol!

I do believe that L + R = J.

Please don't let them bring Catelyn back as a zombie!!

And why did they change the plotline so that Jon chose to go see Mance? In the books Thorne and Slynt made him as they thought he would die? Why did they have to be less evil in the show?

Also in the books, does Ygritte 100% die? She definitely is in the show!

Do you think they will introduce the female dwarf character??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Besides the wiki articles for ice and fire I'm bugging a mate who usually links me to everything. He's like, uber nerd in the know lol. So I shall let you know.

I can't wait for more of Arya's story and to see if she does become like Jaquen. I guess that's another big problem with tv series vs books. A book can always go into so much more depth, what the workings of their mind are etc.

Blergh zombie, what a friggin joke it is. Lady Stoneheart is no brainless zombie. She has purpose!!!! Not looking forward to poor Brienne dying because of her.

Yes Ygritte died on the battlefield in the books after Jon warned the castle an attack was coming.

Lol Penny, what an odd character she will be. I guess it depends if they have time to touch on it.
    Last edited by Demonica; 18-06-2014 at 13:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    S P O I L E R S P A CE S P O I L E R S P A CE S P O I L E R S P A CE S P O I L E R S P A CE S P O I L E R S P A CE S P O I L E R S P A CE S P O I L E R S P A CE S P O I L E R S P A CE S P O I L E R S P A CE S P O I L E R S P A CE

Subbing - anyone think the Hound could still be alive? Kw123 I know Arya is ruthless but still felt like she had a soft spot for the Hound.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm keen on links too! I've read the series several times over the years - started in 1998, egads! But I have to admit to getting mixed up with some of the minor characters.

Anyone got a link to a list of events/ characters that are significantly different to the books? I keep thinking 'not sure if that's how it happened' but then I wonder if it's just my bad memory!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I think GRRM is a total writing hack. He wrote the first book as a one off and then has slowly added to them with a progressively worse writing style overall.

What would I like to happen? I want Sansa to realise she was wrong about Tyrion and fall in love with him. I want Danearys to die off as she was just the mother of the dragon and she could never control them and i think Rhaeger will come and Tyrion and Sansa will be the 3 heads. Jon Snow will defend the 7 kingdoms as he is too uptight to go against his upbringing. He wants to be Eddard too much.

Really what will happen is that GRRM, will die before he finishes writing any more books because he loves the fame of going to conventions and drinks way too much.