Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Finding the time to exercise

Hi hubbers,

I'm looking for advice, experience and any ideas you have around making time to exercise.

I work full time and have a 18 month old DS. My day starts at 6am, I'm up and getting ready for work. I leave by 7. I work all day, pick up my DS and arrive home at 5pm. I then have to do all the night time routine. Cooking dinner for the family, bath and spend some quality time with my DS. At 730 DS goes to bed. DH doesn't get home from his job till 9:00pm, so I cannot leave the house.

I have a gym membership but at the moment it's wasted. The only time I can really go is before work, which means I have to get up at 5am. I did this for quite a while but then DS stopped sleeping through and I was too tired.

I don't feel comfortable walking around my area alone in the early hours/late at night. I live in Melbourne so it's quite cool at the moment so I don't want to take DS out for a late evening walk.

It feels like I am just making excuses and it looks like my only option is the really early mornings, which means I need to go to bed early, which means I'll barely see my DH. I know exercise is really important for me, I need to do it, I just find the thought of it really overwhelming in my current life.

How do you fit exercise into your life? I'd love to hear from other people and your daily routine to make this work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can you go for a walk during your lunch breaks?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

cheekychook  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you buy a spin bike or treadmill and maybe some hand weights or something that you can use after your ds goes to bed?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Joeee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    Can you go for a walk during your lunch breaks?
    I don't really get lunch breaks. My job is really busy, but I guess I could enforce it!! It would mean I'd probably be taking work home, but I can deal with that. Good idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeee View Post
    Could you buy a spin bike or treadmill and maybe some hand weights or something that you can use after your ds goes to bed?
    I can't afford it at the moment, but I guess if I cancelled my gym membership, it'd probably be the same cost as hiring a treadmill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do you get to work? Could you park your car a little further away and walk/run the remaining? Or get off one or two train/tram stations before your stop?
    Could you buy some weights and exercise in your living room after DS is in bed? There's plenty of really good apps for it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sydney1980 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Subbing, sorry I need ideas as well as my situation is similar

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney1980 View Post
    How do you get to work? Could you park your car a little further away and walk/run the remaining? Or get off one or two train/tram stations before your stop?
    Could you buy some weights and exercise in your living room after DS is in bed? There's plenty of really good apps for it.
    I drive 40 minutes to work. Parking further is not really an option. In the afternoon I finished work at 4, have to be at daycare by 430, it takes 30 minutes exactly to get there so I have to zoom!!

What apps are there? I'm thinking lounge too exercise is going to be the way. Except I'm so tired I know I'll struggle!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Before I got married I had been going to the gym for ages and I wasn't really seeing results, I hired a personal trainer who came to my house and we worked out there. I don't have any special equipment just some basic hand weights and a fit ball but she showed me some creative ways to work out at home. We would do circuit training with 3 or 4 exercises a session that I'd do numerous reps of; for example walking squats up and down the hallway while holding weights, planks on the fitball stairclimbs on the actual stairs etc. This variety really helped and I lost a lot of weight and really toned up.

There are a lot of websites that give you ideas for this type of exercise or you could even hire/buy a few DVDs to mix it up. If you can afford it you could even hire a personal trainer for a couple of in home sessions to give you some advice and ideas.

I'd say exercising at home before your DH gets home is going to work best for you but if you miss working out with the cardio and weight machines and classes at the gym maybe you could work out at home most nights and then work out Saturday and Sunday mornings at the gym.

Hope you find something that works for you, I know how hard it is, I never seem to have the time for exercise these days and I really miss it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You can pick up a treadmill or cross trainer on gumtree pretty cheap, perhaps that might be a more suitable option rather than buying brand new or hiring.

Also if you have a bicycle you can get stands which can convert them into a exercise bike, so you can exercise inside and still use the bike like a normal bike if needed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to curlybird For This Useful Post: