+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Spitting out Panadol WWYD?

DS just had his 4 month vax and the nurse told me to give him some Panadol when we got home since he had a mild reaction last time. He pretty much spit the whole 2.5ml dose out so I tried another 1ml and that pretty much all came out too. If he kept any in it would be less than .5ml. What would you have done or would you do? Would you give another dose? Half? Or just wait and see? I tried doing it slowly in the back of his mouth but he still got it out! Might try hiding it in a little expressed milk next time...

On a side note. Do those dummies that hold the medicine work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd probably wait and see how he goes/if he needs it seeing as it's so hard getting it down him! I usually tilt my babies back a bit, and use the syringe to put small amounts in the corner of their mouth towards the back, then gently hold their mouth closed so it's swallowed. Don't know about the dummies, never tried them but did used to give my son gripe water using a bottle teat! Poured it into the teat then let him drink it. But panadol tastes pretty yuck really so may not work, lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is it the cherry vanilla flavour? My DS hates it and spits it out (if you can even get it in his mouth in the first place). Fortunately, there are some generic brands that are orange-flavoured that he seems to really like - he'll grab the syringe and lick it, just to make sure he's got all the last drops.

Any chance you can get hold of some for your LO's next scheduled dose? In the meantime, you can also use Ibuprofen (Nurofen) at the same time as paracetamol (if you're worried your LO might not have gotten enough Panadol to help).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had tilted him back and put it slowly in the back corner but didn't think to close his mouth! Will try that next time .

It's Calpol (I'm currently in London), so their baby Panadol. It's strawberry flavor, I hadn't noticed any other flavors. I'll keep my eye out. We do have neurofen so I'll maybe do that if he ends up loosing it. So far he's ok but last time he lost it about four hours after his jabs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't give any more until the next dose as you really don't know how much he swallowed but you can safely alternate with nurofen as others have suggested. We have a special dummy that has a little hole in the end so when they suck on it, down goes the medicine without them even realising! 😉 Maybe see if you can grab one of those for next time

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 month old spits out his panadol too. Hubby and I are both medical professionals so it's quite ironic that we have produced a child that refuses his meds
    I ended up mixing it with some EBM and feeding it to him with a baby spoon. He still kicked up a fuss but eventually swallowed it. It was a 2 person job as we needed to tilt him slightly back and stroke the underneath of his chin with a finger gently to make him swallow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try blowing on his face after you squirt it at the back of his throat. It makes them swallow

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Suppositories. But inky if it's a real high temp. A mild temp just warm baths/showers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Squeeze the cheeks to make 'fish lips' if that makes sense, very hard to spit with mouth in this position

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can you get suppositories without a prescription in OZ? I'm currently in London and you need a prescription here but MIL comes in a few weeks so may have her stock us up. Had a teething monster last night and it's impossible to get the syrup down! Did fish cheeks, blew on his face and held his mouth closed! Got it in but it was chaos!