Closed Thread
Page 4 of 209 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    @Ree888 @Nezz79 I'm curious too about when an FS will transfer more than one embryo at a time... My clinic (Genea) seems to not do it on principle... Is it uncommon to put two in at once? Are the risks associated with a multiple birth really that bad?
    I'm not really sure. My FS just said it so we went along with that. I think they normally consider it after 3 unsuccessful transfers and/or over 35 years old. But you also have to write a letter stating you understand the risks and your willing to accept them. There are risks with any pregnancy but more risks if your carrying twins as there is more of chance that they will be born premature and need special care and that you'll have to have a csection which comes with risks as well etc.

I'm actually scared to fall pregnant with twins I'm just hoping for one to stick if it happens it happens. We are already blessed with one DD.

Welcome to everyone glad to be sharing my journey with you.

Will catch up soon I'm currently on holiday in Bali so will try and do personals when I get home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last 2 attempts I have transferred 3 embryos.

@Bongley - hi!!! Good to see you let's hope we get off this crazy ride soon x

have finished my progynova /estrogen so now waiting for AF. Still sniffing the dratted synarel but have a scan on Monday to see where we are at....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly39 For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    I'm making a lot of lifestyle changes too, so I can be as centred and well as possible through the cycle.. I'm avoiding alcohol, caffeine, soy milk and trying to keep sugar cut well down, plus doing yoga every couple of days (at home with a yoga app).

Anyone else on a wellness kick?
    @scubagirl: You know I was thinking about that last night. I am NOT on one and feeling guilty. Don't' get me wrong, I am generally active and eat well so am fit. But since I started stims (Day 7 today!) I'm still allowing myself one cocktail a day and one coffee. I feel guilty…I think I will stop as of today. I need to give myself every chance right? I think because I did my last cycle 3 years ago and was blessed with a son, that I forget how heartbreaking it is to get a BFN. If that happens I do not want to say "is it because I wasn't healthy enough?". Today is the start of my wellness kick. I want these little follicles to grow! My FS said they were to small and upped the dosage of my stims.

------------------------------------
    ME: 32 (no issue) & DH (33) MFI
    IVF #1 (April 2011): 2 embies, 1 fresh transfer = BFN
    FET # 1 (June 2011): 1 frostie = BFP
    DS born March 2012
    IVF # 2 with ICSI in June 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    @canuck28 well here's the thing, I'm a believer in moderation in all things (including moderation), and since reading Emily Oster's book Expecting Better (which just presents all the data on things so you can decide for yourself whether to drink coffee/alcohol etc) I think that unless you're really far away from a healthy BMI, a bit of coffee etc is probably not hurting - and beating yourself up definitely isn't good for you or fun.

Plus I asked the nurse at my visit this week - should I delay IVF ICSI and go full on crazy hippie organic and she said no, you've had your eggs since birth and we are taking most of the control out of your hands (ouch!).

That said, over the past year and a bit of TTC with no luck I've gone increasingly 'Gwyneth' (and I use that term a bit tongue in cheek because I think Gwyneth Paltrow is a bit of a ******) but I have increasingly tried to just do more of the things I know are good for me - e.g. eat well, drink less coffee, go to sleep earlier, do genre exercise etc.

I've always been pretty sceptical/jealous of those women who seem really together and centred with their yoga, kale smoothies and lithe bodies.

BUT what I've found over the last few months:
    • Switching first to light beer (Peroni Leggera is my fav) really helped cut down my calories, and ultimately, avoiding drinking has helped immensely with weight loss, and avoiding late night fertility blues
    • Cutting out coffees has had a marked improvement on my efforts to get back into a healthy BMI range (from 74ish to 68kgs at the moment) - because each soy coffee was 130 calories, and at 3 a day I was drinking an extra meal, so first I switched to black with one sugar, then black with equal, then decaf black with equal - at which point its just dirty brown water and a lovely tea is much more appetising!!!!
    • Doing an easy-peasy 30 minutes of yoga (using the PocketYoga app on the app store) has helped me feel more toned and the last three minutes are just a taster of meditation which I figure I get big 'Gwyneth points' for.
    • I used to exercise really intensely 6 days per week (cycling) and now I only do very gentle walks and I have found it easier to manage my weight because exercise makes me hungrier, not thinner. I use MyFitnessPal to track my eating.
    • Focusing on wellness targets gives me something to do, and something to achieve success at - which is a really big deal when you feel like a fertility failure
    Today I've downloaded one of the Bub Hub reward charts (which are meant for five year olds) and filled it out with my targets for this week, along with some sweeeeet rewards if I get them all done. (and yes, I am going to use coloured textas to tick off my successes!!!!)

I find being able to tick off something positive that I see a result for really helps when I've been POAS with no results for so long.

Maybe you want to do your own reward chart....? I'd recommend the Emily Oster book just because it is interesting reading and very factual.

Hope something there is useful.

photo.jpg
    Last edited by ScubaGal; 22-06-2014 at 14:36. Reason: full of typos!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (22-06-2014),KitiK  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies
    First time on forum and first time IVF I am going in to start Ivf tomorrow. Have a question I have cracker period pain now. I now can take limited pain killer during Ivf does this include now Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ScubaGal some really great tips! 'Focusing on wellness targets gives me something to do, and something to achieve success at '

Yes, I'd agree with that, I've been honing my exercise and nutrition, so when I do fall off the wagon around IVF time it doesn't impact me too badly. (Damn, I CAN'T TURN OFF THIS BOLD FONT!) I've hit a particularly low point at the moment though because of my broken arm. After my recent 3 failed IVF attempts it has really added insult to injury (or injury to insult?) *sigh*

Anyway, got my period today so I find out tomorrow what my new protocol will involve. Back to work on tuesday.
    @cheekyhumour I think you can take paracetamol based pain relief, as long as it isn't anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen
    @Canuck good luck, hope your follies grow nice and big with your new dosage. Yeah, I don't really believe in feeling guilty about my lifestyle on top of all the other things we have to worry about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongley View Post
    Yeah, I don't really believe in feeling guilty about my lifestyle on top of all the other things we have to worry about!
    Totally agree. I usually do have a glass of wine or three when it's a BFN, and guilt isn't useful.

I figure though, the wellbeing will be useful when I do finally get a BFP, and then it won't feel like such a shock to have to properly cut things out of my diet. But mostly it gives me something to do.
    @cheekyhumour : what @Bongley said. The nurses told me this week that panadol is fine but no aspirin or ibuprofen.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

cheekyhumour  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Embryo grading... not sure how good it is or what it says. I have 1 x 3BB... any info/advice on sucess rates with this quality??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for your help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Ugh this TWW is going to draaaaaaag on, I just know it. I ovulated on the weekend and even convinced DH to DTD even though we know there's like a billion to one chance one of the swimmers can get through

Normally I'd be still feeling like this is the one, it's gonna work this month but now that we know it's not gonna happen I just want AF to arrive so I can stop thinking about IVF and just get started on actually doing it but it's going to take foreverrrrrrrrrrr. Sigh.