+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2.5 year old using 'baby' talk, driving me mad!

Hi everyone,

DD has always been really good with words & language. She's pretty advanced and has been talking in coherent sentences since approx. 18 months of age. Everyone comments on it, her daycare in particular always make mention of how clear her spoken communication is, little surprise really as her mummy and daddy loooove to talk talk talk ... we are a very communicative family.

BUT. Recently, DD has started to use baby talk sometimes in her usual speech. For example: "Mummy, can I play with the truck and the goo goo doo doo?" My response is usually to not make a big deal out of it and just ask her to repeat and use her words properly this time... to which she will often repeat but using the same baby talk! And other times, I've noticed she will repeat nonsensical phrases over and over, such as "a bababa a bobobo a bababa" and so on.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? What did you do? Is it just an attention thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not useful but my 2.5yr old DD does this sometimes too. And sings babble/half words (usually to the tune of various kiddy tunes). And she has been talking in clear sentences for ages & has a massive vocabulary. I've never "baby talked" to her so it's seems odd.

Might be a development thing? Trying out new sounds/syllables?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

happypeanut  (17-06-2014),MsViking  (17-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wondered about the experimentation factor. Tonight I overheard her talking to herself as she was playing, she was making different sounds and repeating them. Weird kid. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 year old does this. I just tell him straight up not to talk like a baby or I won't listen. Might be a bit harder with a younger child but if she understands, you could give it a go

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelicHobgoblin For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 y/o DS went through a stage doing this, I just remind him he is a big boy and to speak so I can understand him properly. He stops talking like it straight away and goes back to speaking normal.

⭐️DS #1 born 15.03.2010⭐️
    ⭐️DS #2 born 16.02.2014⭐️
    ⭐️Me=29 💗 DP=34⭐️

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luminary For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh this is my DD to a tee!!! She's 2.5 years old too and since my 9 month niece has been more vocal lately, my DD has started talking baby talk. Like your DD mine is a well talking toddler who could string sentences from 18 months. She's advanced for her age.
    She's not toilet trained either. She did have it in 3 days but then reverted to this baby nonsense and started soiling her undies constantly so back into nappies again.
    It's frustrating. No advice but I feel for you x.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiery For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD does it too, we realised after a while that it was because she was watching baby videos of herself on our phones and trying to reenact them rofl

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandamonium For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (18-06-2014)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Any younger siblings recently added to the family, or contact with babies?

It's mostly experimentation, she is making links between words, and how different sounds make them different words. But of course if she has been around babies recently, it could spur on the behaviour.

Just keep doing what you're doing, telling her you cannot understand her when she talks like a baby. And don't action her requests if she baby talks, because it will reinforce it as well!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3 yo sometimes copies her younger brother who is only starting to use his words at 15mths. Since we give him a lot of attention and praise for is babbling words, dd copies him. It's really annoying as we went through speech therapy with dd.
    so when she is seeking attention by saying "mu my where da da?" Or "I wan da tarrr" I say stop stalking like a baby, your a big girl, use your words properly. Or I ignore her baby talk.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (18-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My little boy occasionally "babbled" up until 3 years old. It was kind of like he was trying to fill in silence with noise, but didn't have anything to say. lol.

If it was directed at me then I'd ask him to repeat what he meant, but otherwise it didn't particularly worry me, because he communicated well when he needed to, it was more during play, especially role-playing conversations between two figurines or something like that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (18-06-2014)