+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DHEA – when to stop?

I am planning on a IVF/ICSI cycle with CGH testing on day 5 (providing there'll be any embryos to test). If that goes ahead it'll be another two cycles until the frozen transfer (given I have an embryo to transfer). I have been on DHEA for 2 1/2 months and had my day 21 appointment today. In my previous IVF cycle I had to stop DHEA on day 21, as the doctor advised it would effect my Progesterone levels (which it did) and therefor the uterine lining, which would have been a problem as we were doing a fresh transfer (which ended in a chemical pregnancy). I am unsure what to do this time. I read in some forum that stopping DHEA at the beginning of the cycle could even have a negative effect, but not sure if that's true. Should I continue to take the DHEA at least until egg collection or even until I know the CHG result? But if I only get one embryo, maybe we'll change plans and do a fresh transfer instead of freezing and CGH testing. I am confused. Ideally I'd like to keep taking the DHEA for 3 months (which would be pretty much the day of my egg collection), but also want to keep my options open depending on the outcomes of this cycle.

Does anyone of you have experience with DHEA? When did you stop?
    Last edited by Journey; 17-06-2014 at 18:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, my previous post has maybe been a bit of an overload of thoughts. Just a quick update – my doctor advised me to keep taking the DHEA until egg retrieval. Interesting, as my previous clinic advised to stop on day 21. Well, let's see what happens. Hopefully the extra days of DHEA will result in better quality eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I took DHEA 75mgs a few years ago when I was doing IVF. The FS I was seeing at the time told me to start it and not to stop until a heartbeat was seen and then he would feel comfortable to stop it.

If I remember correctly it takes awhile for it to work so everytime you stop using it the DHEA things start from scratch, at least that's what I was told. I had no lining issues or progesterone issues while taking it.

Best of luck to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls, thought I would jump into this thread for the look. I have started taking DHEA my FS has advised to not stop taking it through the IVF cycles and only stop once I get pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal4431 View Post
    Hi, I took DHEA 75mgs a few years ago when I was doing IVF. The FS I was seeing at the time told me to start it and not to stop until a heartbeat was seen and then he would feel comfortable to stop it.

If I remember correctly it takes awhile for it to work so everytime you stop using it the DHEA things start from scratch, at least that's what I was told. I had no lining issues or progesterone issues while taking it.

Best of luck to you
    This was the same advice I got, although I did have lining issues. I had lining issues before DHEA though and was on progesterone support. When I did fall pregnant they weaned me off it after 7 week scan, then the oestrogen and finally progesterone.