+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Low Gi Recipes

Hi ladies! I've been trying to follow a low gi diet to help my pcos and so far in 2 weeks I've lost 3kg which is great! I'm after recipe ideas for meals and snacks? Does anyone have any easy tasty recipes that are low gi and they love? Please share!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Oh wow, a 3kg loss is awesome! I'm interested too. I'm meant to follow a low GI diet but it's so hard when carbs are essentially your best friend.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha tell me about it! I love carbs. As a rule of thumb I haven't cut carbs completely otherwise I'll just binge on them. I've cut out potato, pumpkin, and corn and also pasta. I've been making sure I eat whole grain bread or crackers and sticking to the daily serves of everything that my dietician recommended. I'm just running out of different things to eat!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to starflame For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (17-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohh, I've got a book called fertility foods, all about low gi diet for fertility. I'm done with it but I'm in Vic. You're welcome to it but I don't know how much post is. Do you know anyone in Melbourne? Or I can send you the name/author and you could check your library?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh really? The name and author would be great! I don't know anyone there haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have recipes as such but thought I'd share my experience. I have PCO so had done a lot of research into lowGI and thought I'd pretty much followed it in the past.

Then when I got gestational diabetes I actually got to test what I'd eat. Carbs were not the enemy, but the quantity per meal and the type made a huge difference.

Rice was shocking for spiking my blood sugars. Basmati and brown rice were just as bad a plain white rice. Potato oddly enough was OK, but I think this has more to do with me needing a smaller serve of potato to feel satisfied. Burgen was the only bread that worked - it was really good for my levels! Even 9 Grain, which is labelled as lowGI, was no good. Regular multigrain was the same as white or wholemeal. Pasta was OK, but cook it all dente, weigh your serve and have it with a meat and veg sauce.

Don't forget to count legumes as a carb (so use them to replace rice/pasta not as well as) and green peas (I always just thought of them as a veg).

I know some fertility diets cut out all grain/gluten. This could produce good results for a lot of people as there is a strong link between gluten intolerance and hashimotos, which can co-exist with PCOS. However if all your thyroid testing is good and wheat doesn't cause digestive discomfort, just make sure the carbs you eat are lowGI and keep the serving size down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, it's called fertility foods - optimize ovulation and conception through food choices. Dr Jeremy Groll, MD & Lorie Groll.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    @veggiemama is that book a vegetarian one at all?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, not veggie