+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh OP I feel you this was me when my DD was born. She was prem and I spent every single waking moment either feeding, expressing, or finger line feeding and doing exercises with her to try and help her speed up muscle development to feed properly.

Have you considered a hugabub or something similar? Just wearing your baby can help with milk production plus, he can feed while it in which is a huge plus!

Fenugreek is good for quick letdown, but it doesn't boost supply. It's also best to take in it's natural form, not tablet. So if you can get the seeds, take 1tbsp 3 times a day with water, don't chew.
    But if your supply is low and compressions/massage isn't helping, you can try lactation cookies but if that doesn't help, motilium would be your best bet.

Good luck xx it's so stressful. Just remember, it's ok to mix feed. I know you want to BF but formula isn't the devil. I started mix feeding because my DD just wasn't putting on weight. Once she's put on weight and her stregth was up, she could BF a lot better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I am totally pro co-sleeping but I know a lot of people aren't. If you're worried about rolling on him, there are those great cosleeping pods, so he's in your bed, but you can't actually roll on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    I'll ask today about tongue tie.

How long did it take for bubba to grow out of being held? I have tried two kinds of carriers but I think I do better without. Anyway if I'm holding him, his feeding instinct kicks in and he starts rooting. Lol . He's a beautiful baby boy I love cuddling him and showering him with kisses. But yea, like you I feel very much stuck to the couch! I guess it's forced recovery.

I was thinking of buying a breast pump to help increase supply. I'm glad to hear manual expression isn't a true reflection of what's available otherwise no wonder he's always hungry!
    I think he was around a few months before I could start popping him down. However he's now 12 months and prefers napping in the carrier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, I'm very happy following my appointment with the consultant. Baby Boy has put on 100g in 4 days . She recommended a trip to the Dr to get some medication... The same one you lovely ladies are talking about. She gave me a supply line to use so that when I do get enough breast milk, I can use the supply line while also breastfeeding. In the meantime, I can use formula. I just finished making some formula for baby, came back and now he's asleep
    Thanks everyone for the responses. It's good to know that I'm not alone in the experience! Makes you feel awful when you know your baby is hu hungry but you can't do anything about it.
    Last edited by Azvanna; 18-06-2014 at 08:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, I'm very happy following my appointment with the consultant. Baby Boy has put on 100g in 4 days . She recommended a trip to the Dr to get some medication... The same one you lovely ladies are talking about. She gave me a supply line to use so that when I do get enough breast milk, I can use the supply line while also breastfeeding. In the meantime, I can use formula. I just finished making some formula for baby, came back and now he's asleep
    Thanks everyone for the responses. It's good to know that I'm not alone in the experience! Makes you feel awful when you know your baby is hu hungry but you can't do anything about it.
    Glad you had a good visit. This may seem like a silly question, but when you say you are using formula at the moment are you still offering the breast first and then just topping up? I assume you are but just thought I would mention that you shouldn't just switch completely to formula and then try to go back to bf because it will set your supply back even more.

And now that bubba is asleep you should go and have a rest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to answer people's questions..
    I have a hugabub and a Bjorn Active. Both have been hard on my back.. I think the anaesthetists really messed it up when doing the epidural. It took two of them 1hr to do it. The hugabub is hard to get him in it without waking him and then him wanting to feed... then i gotta unwrap it etc etc. the active is just more convenient for us atm but I can only use it for a short time. If he's in my arms, I found my back hurts less... maybe because I am taking his weight with my arms instead of my torso.

I feed bubba four breasts before giving him the supply line. We've limited the top ups to 50-60ml, 4 times in 24h. He still sucks like a mad thing the rest of the time!

I have those tablets now, too! Apparently they take 2 weeks to kick in. We shall see if they work for me and if not, I'll go to formula feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to answer people's questions..
    I have a hugabub and a Bjorn Active. Both have been hard on my back.. I think the anaesthetists really messed it up when doing the epidural. It took two of them 1hr to do it. The hugabub is hard to get him in it without waking him and then him wanting to feed... then i gotta unwrap it etc etc. the active is just more convenient for us atm but I can only use it for a short time. If he's in my arms, I found my back hurts less... maybe because I am taking his weight with my arms instead of my torso.

I feed bubba four breasts before giving him the supply line. We've limited the top ups to 50-60ml, 4 times in 24h. He still sucks like a mad thing the rest of the time!

I have those tablets now, too! Apparently they take 2 weeks to kick in. We shall see if they work for me and if not, I'll go to formula feeding.
    What dose do they have you on? Be prepared to fight for a higher dose - drs tend to put it way too low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to the 'wanting to be near you to sleep', it took my ds 6 weeks till he finally realised it was ok to go to bed on his own. It was hell. He slept on top of me (usually with my boob in his mouth) the entire time.
    At the time it wasn't good. I was exhausted and was scared id roll on top of him or that he'd fall off the bed. But like everything with babies, we got through it.
    I won't tell you to co sleep if you don't want, but it worked for us until he grew out of the 'forth trimester'.

In regards to the feeding, how is his weight gain? How many wet nappies per day?
    Your supply is still being established. The first 8 weeks can be tough but if the above is ok, then try to persist if you can.

It WILL get better I promise!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Azvanna  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    What dose do they have you on? Be prepared to fight for a higher dose - drs tend to put it way too low.
    1tablet 3 times daily for first 2 days, then 2 tablets 3 times daily.
    I talked to my husband today about co sleeping, but he's not in favour. I respect that. What's the 'fourth trimester?'

Thanks
    Reviews
    His weight gain is catching up now, but He was still a bit behind his birth weight when we weighed him this week. He really doesn't wet that much. I still changed his nappy every three hours even if it didn't really need changing. It wasn't til I started taking fenugreek and blessed thistle that I knew what a wet nappy was. Now we are using the supply line, he is heavily wet 2-3 times a day and dirties 2-3 times. They're not very big though. Nothing like the explosions I've seen from other babies! Lol. It's definitely a case of him not getting enough food. I just hope the tablets work!