+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    @pvroom great that you've got a plan, do you feel a bit better now you've got a timeline?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ScubaGal yes I do. I've been through a lot as I also lost my job in March where I had accumulated my time and they had paid parental leave at my salary which is considerably more than minimum wage. I got a new job quickly but they don't do anything above minimum wage. It's such a blow (only found this out this morning) but will just have to save like crazy from now on and will see what happens).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    @pvroom oh PPL don't get me started! My work offers a little more above the minimum wage that the govt provides (4weeks at wage) but my problem is that like many women who are single and TTC or who are carers and TTC - my income is the *main* income, and my salary pays the mortgage. Minimum wage doesn't cut it as there will still be a gap and my DH doesn't have the earning capacity I do.

I find the whole PPL debate really frustrating - people call it middle class welfare or say 'we didn't need it in my day' but in the old days - women were much less likely to be the primary income earner.

I really wonder what I'll do, the 3 months at minimum wage doesn't equal three months for me, so maybe I'll sell the car? Go back to work leaving a much longed for 3mth old in daycare? Send my DH out to work night shifts on top of his current day job to make ends meet and put us under heaps of stress?

I really think workplaces should cover women at their salary so there's no sudden gap.

It's really messed with my head these last few months because obviously we are getting closer to Oct-Nov when if you conceived you'd most likely be eligible for the new scheme - but I wouldn't want to wait and have my fertility decline.

Just another thing to find a way to deal with it I suppose, but it really plays on my mind -so I totally know how you feel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    ...especially since my nest egg I was saving to cover the gap and take some PPL is now all going to the IVF gods...

Thanks
    Reviews
    To the IVF filthy rich doctors you mean?

I am the same as you, my husband does not earn as much as me, I earn maybe 45% more. That is why I'm pushing to try as soon as possible as I can see that IVF is hard emotionally and financially.

I'd take less money and conceiving easily over more money any day! We are going to save 12 months of our mortgage as quick as we can so that we don't have to worry about that part. Luckily we have a unit that is rented out so our part of the mortgage is quite a bit less. We have been clever in our property buying but not everyone has that skill or knowledge - my whole family are property developers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    That's a pretty good plan @pvroom you're a smart cookie. I always thought IVF might be on the cards but I thought we'd have more of a chance to try naturally.

It was a pretty big shock getting such a final prognosis last week, that it's ICSI or nothing. But then you only have to spend five minutes on bubhub to read that many many warrior women are doing it pretty tough and have survived years of heartbreak so no complaints from me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That really sucks and you should allow yourself to be upset. You can't compare yourself to others. Being strong is great, but let yourself go through the emotions. I've had things happen to me and I find it really hard now to let myself 'feel' you know. It's hard. I wish I could cry and let everything out every once in a while but it just doesn't happen.

I wish you the best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks @pvroom

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Hey @pvroom just wondering how are you travelling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey @ScubaGal i am doing OK. I got pharyngitis which wasn't fun but I'm on the mend. Husband is having his surgery in exactly 1 month so we are going to get through that and start trying. I'm off the pill and tracking my period now so hopefully that will provide more insight too!