+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Complaining to your local MP

Has anyone done it?
    What's the best way to go about it? Drop in, write a letter, make an appointment?
    Did you achieve your desired outcome by doing so?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've not had to do it so can't answer from that side.

Depending on the issue sometimes it's best to address things in writing. However if you wish to be anonymous then phone would be best.

Having previously worked in government it's generally only taken seriously if it's written but if unsure then give the members office a call and see how they like to handle things.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessPud For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (17-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    A few people have recommended I do so about issues with my DS at school. Essentially it all boils down to discrimination on the basis of a disability (autism & adhd) as well as the fact that there is no help or support.
    I'm not too sure if it would achieve anything? Others think it might compel the education department to consider placing DS in a more suitable school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do it - they have to look into all written complaints - even if he rings the school it may kick start them into taking you more seriously - write the letter and them make an appointment to see him ( we lease the shop to our local MP who is near our office so we see him all the time and he has meetings with the general public all the time over everything from council complaints to employer complaints ) so don't be afraid to use him for help as that is what they are there for!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would put it in writing, but take it in there and have a meeting with him to explain it.

Its harder for them to fob you off if you are there in person

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ring and make an appointment. Don't be upset if you can't get one for a few weeks - their schedules are often crazy and the appointment times full up quickly.

Once you have the appointment put something in writing and send it to their office. That way their constituent adviser can brief them on the issue before you come in - it makes it more productive for both of you. It also makes it clear what you are expecting from them and they can let you know what they are actually able to do for you.

Lastly - but importantly - pick the right MP. It's a waste of your time to go to a federal Mp for a state issue and vice versa. You'll just get fobbed off.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Elijah's Mum is right, they do have an obligation to respond to all written complaints. But, having worked for state government (and a bit jaded by the experience), don't be surprised if you find it extremely difficult to get a face-to-face meeting. It will of course depend on who your local member is (some are awesome; others once voted in don't give two hoots) and whether he/she has a portfolio or not. He/she may also refer it on to the education minister depending on whether they feel they can actually do anything for you or not.

I guess the key is writing a strong letter - outline the problem but be very clear about the outcome you would like to see as well.

I complained recently to my local council member via email about a neighbourhood issue and got a response from her later that same day, in fact we started a bit of email dialogue, but it still remains to be seen whether anything will change - our local member is Labor and current Brisbane City Council is Liberal so that makes it difficult.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done it. On many occasions and have got help from it. Often within 24 hours.
    I have a letter in fact I'm working on about my dd and her disability in order to seek extra support.

I always put it in writing. Then end the letter with your email or phone number so they can contact you and make an appointment. Also. .. try not to be too emotive in the letter, I find listing the facts and incidences/issues helps to get your point across.
    Good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post: