+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Solar panels tell me all about it!

Just got our latest energy bill $765 I'm in total disbelief... I know we haven't really made an effort but seriously!?
    Next 90 days we will try to reduce our usage but it has got me thinking about a more permanent solution.
    Our provider is origin so we would probably just go through one of their scheme but I'm wondering if it does impact on the bill... does having solar panels cut the cost completely? And does it make a big difference? Might sound silly but I just know nothing about it... thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Was talking to dh about this today!!!
    Would love to know what others say!
    I think it's worth it, just have to convince him (he says you don't get the same power?? Don't know where he got that from ??)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's going to vary depending on the size of your house and inverter etc. but we have the largest we could get for our power supply -21 panels 5kw system and we sell back to the grid approx $230-250 per quarter. We generate more than that though as we use what we are making before we sell the excess back )if that makes sense). It's brought our bill down a lot, but it will take a long time to recover the funds we spent on the system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 3.5kw system and it's brought our bill down a lot, you don't get a lot of money selling it back into the system now but if you're at home most days and use the power as you are producing it makes sense.
    The thing is to use power while the sun is up for example instead of putting my dishwasher on at night I do it about 10am, same with washer and dryer, bottle steriliser etc, if you run them throughout the day (in peak daylight hours) your using your own energy you won't get billed for it.
    When we had ours installed a year ago the amount you got for putting power back into the grid was approx 7 cents per kW, not a lot when the system costs approx $8000 to get.
    If we keep using it the way we do it will take less than 10 years to pay for itself, if there was no one home during the day and all the jobs were getting done late arvo/evening it would take at least 20 years.
    Hope that makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheaty View Post
    We have a 3.5kw system and it's brought our bill down a lot, you don't get a lot of money selling it back into the system now but if you're at home most days and use the power as you are producing it makes sense.
    The thing is to use power while the sun is up for example instead of putting my dishwasher on at night I do it about 10am, same with washer and dryer, bottle steriliser etc, if you run them throughout the day (in peak daylight hours) your using your own energy you won't get billed for it.
    When we had ours installed a year ago the amount you got for putting power back into the grid was approx 7 cents per kW, not a lot when the system costs approx $8000 to get.
    If we keep using it the way we do it will take less than 10 years to pay for itself, if there was no one home during the day and all the jobs were getting done late arvo/evening it would take at least 20 years.
    Hope that makes sense
    Why does using appliances during the day make a difference? I thought they would just work out how much power you used and how much power you generated and take one from the other? So if you use more then you generate you pay a bit, but if you generate more then you use you're in credit. Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    Just got our latest energy bill $765 I'm in total disbelief... I know we haven't really made an effort but seriously!?
    Next 90 days we will try to reduce our usage but it has got me thinking about a more permanent solution.
    Our provider is origin so we would probably just go through one of their scheme but I'm wondering if it does impact on the bill... does having solar panels cut the cost completely? And does it make a big difference? Might sound silly but I just know nothing about it... thanks in advance!
    Do as much research as you can... We had panels installed on one of our investment/rentals approx 4 yrs ago and it has been hopeless. Numerous Ombudsman complaints and the whole box and dice. Glad we didn't bother getting it for all of our properties!!!

If you can find someone in your area with similar usage/appliances and suss out the brand, capacity and type of installation, company and provider it might save you the drama we had. We had gone through Origin but the other variables were problematic too. Good luck!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartonia View Post
    Why does using appliances during the day make a difference? I thought they would just work out how much power you used and how much power you generated and take one from the other? So if you use more then you generate you pay a bit, but if you generate more then you use you're in credit. Am I missing something?
    Your house uses the power generated from the solar panels when the sun is up. So any power you use during the day is taken straight from the panels, instead of the grid, so it's not charging you money (unless you use more than you produce). Any left over power you don't use goes into the grid and you get a credit for it. Unless you install a battery system with the panels (which costs much more $) once the sun goes down, your house will be getting power from the grid again and you'll be charged for it. So the more stuff you can do during the day, the more money you'll save.

As pp said, if you can do everything during the day, you'll save money. If you can't (due to not being home during the day) it may not be worth it unless you get a battery system as well.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn400 View Post
    I hope that makes sense.
    It did, thanks I wasn't thinking of the fact that the price we pay for power is higher than what we get credit for.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    here is an article from choice about Solar systems and whether its worth it

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...ack-times.aspx

its an interesting read - and gives you a bit of information. Remember though, its from August 2013, so some of the Feed In Tarrifs etc have changed