+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While studying at Uni I worked in retail. I found it boring, at times stressful during crazy sales and when customers were difficult or rude. My legs hurt from standing too long and the hours dragged, time went so slow.
    Not something I could do permanently.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

sunshinebub  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have worked in retail, in both a supermarket and a smaller, sales-focused environment.

I hated the supermarket. So unbelievably boring. After I had mastered the job (which took all of 3 hours), opportunities to learn new things were very few and far between.

In the smaller store, I had to have loads of product knowledge, which was awesome for learning and keeping the brain cells fed. Also, I had to learn how to build instant rapport with the general public, earn their trust within a minute or two, and sell them stuff, which is a useful skill to have. Way less boring, but way more soul destroying. It was the two years of working there that taught me that people are generally rude, self entitled a$$holes. On the upside, I now make an enormous effort with my own manners Don't get me wrong, there are a handful of customers I met through working there who I still keep in contact with as friends, but for the most part, the customers were arrogant as h3ll.

I struggled to feel 'connected' to either job though - I guess that, aside from hitting goals and targets for my own sense of accomplishment, the jobs seemed a bit 'pointless', you know?

I guess if the main point of the job is a source of income, it is a pretty easy way to do that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I worked in retail for the same company for around 5 years. It was a ladies clothing chain and I worked in 3 different stores (a mega large one, very small and a large one).

I found it pretty enjoyable for the most part, however the pay is not great if you are part time as opposed to casual. Even store managers are quite underpaid IMO.

I enjoyed it more when I was working in the stores in my regional home town. You'd get lots of regular customers and most of them were lovely. Then I got a transfer to a Sydney store where there were pretty much no regular customers - the people were rude, demanding and cold. I had to change my approach to customer service in order to cope. The manager was very pushy and would tell us to "sell sell sell" every day.

After 5 years I had simply had enough of dealing with the general public and I studied in order to change careers.
    Last edited by Mod-Degrassi; 17-06-2014 at 08:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I worked in retail for two years after uni, it was a food shop & I hated it. My colleagues were great but management wasn't that good or supportive. It was a small store though, I'm not sure if a bigger franchise would be better. Also the customers were so rude, heaps of them had this sense of 'entitlement' - ie I'm better than everyone so I don't have to wait in the queue etc and we used to get abused all the time (management also wasn't very supportive as far as preventing their staff getting abused).

Also, the customers used to treat me like I was completely stupid - I always got this attitude of 'how would you know how to give correct change/pack bags etc, you just work in retail' even though I have a degree.

Just my experience though, I'm sure all stores are different

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to work in retail and all I can say is don't work somewhere that places a huge emphasis on your sales.
    I found that it made staff turn against and 'steal' sales from each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had days when I loved chatting to people and helping them out and days when everything felt repetitive and I hated having to talk to other people. So it was a mixed bag for me. One thing to consider though, depending on the size of the staff it can be difficult if people are sick or if you may need to leave suddenly because there's not always someone to cover. This might not be as much of an issue in the bigger stores though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work in retail at Bunnings. I do like my job but like everywhere there are things that could be better, I would prefer a job with set hours and no weekends or nights would be great(we all have to do a weekend shift and a close and open so a Saturday or Sunday a 6am start and a close that's either 7pm or 9pm) customers wise there are good ones,great ones and down right obnoxious ones, I also find the work to be very physically demanding, I stand all day (10 hours often) on a concrete floor and run pallets and pallets of stock. But I'm still there so they must be doing something right lol, I like the freedom it allows, every day is sort of the same but always a bit different and I like the people I work with so that definitely helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartonia View Post
    I had days when I loved chatting to people and helping them out and days when everything felt repetitive and I hated having to talk to other people. So it was a mixed bag for me. One thing to consider though, depending on the size of the staff it can be difficult if people are sick or if you may need to leave suddenly because there's not always someone to cover. This might not be as much of an issue in the bigger stores though.
    This ! Our store is a big store but were always only just covered bare minimum, if it's an emergency they can't stop you but it's still not ideal, I work within a department of my store as well that requires someone to be in it constantly so it can be problematic when you are sick