+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I think I just got offered a vaginal breech birth.

I'm looking for some feedback/experiences please. I've just seen my mw for my 30 week check and we both think baby is breech. I realise that we still have lots of time for it to turn but I was very surprised when she asked me what I would do if it was breech at full term. I'm just so used to breech vaginal birth being a no-no that the question threw me a bit.

My history is that DS1 was an emergency csection due to malpositioning, DS2 was a successful vbac with no tears and this is a normal pregnancy at this stage.

My dr (gp/ob) is known for not intervening unless really needed and didn't insist on continuous monitoring for my vbac. We live in a rural area and have one 'true' ob who has a very good reputation and has spent most of his career in developing nations so I suspect has probably had reasonable experience with vaginal breeches. Our other gp/ob I don't like at all, his personality is weird and I know that he doesn't follow hospital protocols (mil is a mw at the hospital).

My feeling is that if my dr, mw team and ob are on board then I would probably give a vaginal breech a go, but not if the other gp/ob was rostered on.

Does anyone have any good resources that I can look at, or know anything about vaginal breech after a c section? Any replies much appreciated - I would like to have something to discuss with my dr when I see him in a month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is great for information:

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2010...ion-of-normal/

And there are some breech birth stories if you're interested:

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/cate.../breech-birth/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

amyd  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did she recommend the spinning babies website as well? That's apparently quite good for tips on turning breech babies.

For what it's worth, I would always try to birth vaginally if I had the chance and was not putting my baby at any risk, so personally I would go for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

amyd  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The safety of a breech birth depends on the position of the baby. Either way, if during the course of things the baby gets its head stuck in the birth canal, it dies or is severely brain damaged. You would want to be under an EXTREMELY experienced obgyn/midwife.

Plus, your uterus has already had a cut in it before, which isn't exactly 'natural' either, and can affect the ability of the uterus to contract.

I'd get a second opinion. Ring a city hospital if you need to. Sometimes practices in rural areas are a little... Different.

I'm sure if you wanted a c section they would give it to you.
    Last edited by Butterfly39; 16-06-2014 at 17:51.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly39 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing - interested if there is info specific to breech Vbac

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Butterfly wrote kind of what I was thinking, but I am a bit of a cautious person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I don't think a midwife is really in the position to be offering a vaginal breech birth especially with a previous caesarean.

I also don't think she particularly offered you one either.
    scar.
    You're absolutely right, offered was not the right word. I think I was just shocked that she didn't immediately say it had to be a csection that I wrote without thinking. She more suggested that I speak to my dr to see if it was an option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just on the topic of turning a breech baby after a c- section. I had this done. The first ob I saw wasn't keen to do it but she very professional and respectfully referred me to a more experienced colleague. The ob who did the turn (successfully!! - yay) felt that if we were happy to test the scar during labour the turn would be no more pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Given that you have already had a VBAC I wouldn't think a lot of the issues about how your scar will perform would apply as it's already passed the test.

I gave birth at a regional hospital with pot luck on which OB would be on roster. If I had PHI or paid the fee I could have got to choose and they would have come in just for my birth.

Does the more experienced OB do private deliveries that he goes on call for? Or would he even be willing to put himself on call just for you but still as a public patient? I know it seems like a long shot but your birth would probably be an interesting one that he may not want to miss.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

amyd  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Given that you have already had a VBAC I wouldn't think a lot of the issues about how your scar will perform would apply as it's already passed the test.

I gave birth at a regional hospital with pot luck on which OB would be on roster. If I had PHI or paid the fee I could have got to choose and they would have come in just for my birth.

Does the more experienced OB do private deliveries that he goes on call for? Or would he even be willing to put himself on call just for you but still as a public patient? I know it seems like a long shot but your birth would probably be an interesting one that he may not want to miss.
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am already going private. Our ob only does high risk pregnancy which is why I'm only seeing a gp/ob. I never even thought about the fact that I could probably get a referral to him though.

I feel bad for not replying to everyone but I am reading all of your replies - in among trying to wrestle kids and bedtime.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (16-06-2014)