+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Dads: quality time with kids

Just saw this on the news..
    Apparently dads spend 7 times as much quality time with their kids than they did in the 70's (70's 5 minutes per day.... Now: 35 minutes per day).

What do you reckon? My hubby would spend that amount of time with my toddler. And I can't really remember any quality time spent with my parents in my early days but that's another story!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was born in the 70,s and my dad definitely spent more than 5 mins a day with us!
    People worked less hours back then as well, my dad would be home by 5 pm whereas my DH is home around 6.30-7pm - I'm lucky he leaves for work at. 8.50am so spends an hour or so every morning before he leaves with DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was born in the mid 70's and my dad was a farmer so he was up and rounding up the cows by 4am, he would finish for the morning at about 10am in which case we would be at school and then he would be ready for the afternoon milking at 2pm, he would finish at 5.30pm, have tea and be in bed by 7.30pm. So no we didn't get much time with him at all.

If dh and I lived in the city we would be leaving for work a lot earlier and be getting home from work a lot later but where we live means school starts earlier, we start work earlier and we finish earlier, we are all home by 3.30pm so we get a good few hours with the boys before dinner, bath and bed. Just Another reason we chose to live where we do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DH leaves for work at 4:30-5am and gets home between 4 and 5pm. Kids go to bed at 6:30 - 7 ish. But in that hour and a half -2 hours he is with the kids the whole time, bathing, playing, etc.

I dont remember my dad spening much time with me at all (grew up in the 80's). I remember being told to be quiet cos he was watching tv. So im adamant that wont happen to my kids.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH would spend more than an average of 35 mins of quality time with our kids each day. From the minute he gets home from work he's plugged in as a Dad. Of course things vary day to day but he'd be over that amount easily (especially factoring in weekends).

My Dad...sadly he didn't spend much quality time with us at all. When he got home from work he watched the news. After dinner we did our own thing (definitely didn't include him). He was quite involved in my brother's sport (soccer and cricket) on the weekend but didn't actively do things with my sister and I. He sometimes helped me with my piano practice. He was a classic Father of his generation (he would be 76 if he was still alive). He was a lovely, kind man but was completely disconnected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's sad that it's only 35 mins! Especially when you factor in averaging out the time spent on weekends too....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most days my DH spends more than that with the kids. On a good work day hes home by 5.30pm. DD2 is in bed by 6.30 and then DD1 by 8pm. So he does bed, bath, book etc with them which is nice. I'm lucky he's home 4 days a week though so he gets a heap of time with them on those days

My dad was a different story. He worked away and had 2 days a week at home, one of which he spent most of sleeping as his job was so physically demanding, and we were at school. It sucked so much, I hated it So I'm really glad DH is working part time and has so much time for the girls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dad was a workaholic! On weekends we would do stuff with him but during the week hardly ever. I was born in the 70s.
    My DH on weekdays would change dd's nappy in the morning and then off to work. He might be home to do her bath and stuff. But generally a weekday maybe he'd spend 10-20 minutes with her. Some days he won't even see her if he leaves early and gets home late!! On the weekend he will try to do more play time but he often works in home office on weekends too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app