+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rentals

What stuff do you do (not landlord/estate agent) to maintain your rental? Besides weeding and lawns?
    We have been in the same rental for 7 years and do not spend a sent more on it than we need. However, the landlord is crap keeping up with maintenance (including what we report to agents) and the house is looking for the worse with all the general wear and tear. We have inspections every 6mths and the same issues are bought up every single time with to action taken.
    I needs a coat of paint, new carpets and a water leak damage fixed up. Also deck is falling apart. Can't have my kids out there.
    We will be here for a couple more years while saving a home deposit. We can't afford to make the house look better. I don't feel it's upto us?! Finding another rental in not an option, we have been down that road.

Just frustrated we are paying our rent and always 2 weeks ahead (only incase something happens). Yet anything we put forward that needs doing that's non urgent, is never done.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Falling apart deck is URGENT. That is a safety risk.

New paint and carpets, if the owner isn't willing to do it and you're not happy then best to move. Nothing can force them to general maintenance unless there was mould etc.

The max I would do is small things like door stoppers etc. that's about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
    Falling apart deck is URGENT. That is a safety risk.

New paint and carpets, if the owner isn't willing to do it and you're not happy then best to move. Nothing can force them to general maintenance unless there was mould etc.

The max I would do is small things like door stoppers etc. that's about it.

Yes but when we vacate the house looks crap. Hope they don't take it from our bond. They better keep their records of maintenance reports.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    You can force them to fix the deck as it a safety Hazzard. Contact rental authority in your state for the right forms.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We don't do anything apart from keeping the properly clean. If we accidently damage something small (like making a little dent a wall), we fix it up.

We have garden maintenance included in our rent, but we still have to weed (to be honest I don't think that there actually is much maintenance going on).

Why is moving not an option OP? If you are still planning to rent for a while, wouldn't you be better off living somewhere that is pleasant with no issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Yes but when we vacate the house looks crap. Hope they don't take it from our bond. They better keep their records of maintenance reports.
    They can't if it's a combination of wear and tear and the owner's refusal to maintain the property.
    Request in writing that the owner fix the deck as it's a safety hazard.
    You come across so many owners that are more than willing to put their hand out and take the weekly rent payment but when it comes to repairs they don't want to let go of any of their precious cash. It makes no sense really, if minor repairs are done in a timely manner, it's less likely the major and expensive repairs will need to be carried out.

I do not much more than cleaning the house and doing the yard. I will change tap washers, nail back a piece of the fence that fell off, replace broken lock on letter box, and the likes- all small and inexpensive things. For anything major I wouldn't be forking out for it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep in mind sometimes it's not always the landlord.

My DH does maintenance on rentals and SOME real estates prioritise jobs before the owner is even notified.

Then there's quoting, owner approvals of quotes and booking the tradies to actually do the work.

I get that your frustrated but your dealing with 3 different areas of people. I'm not a renter but just wanted to input from the "Tradie" side of things.

As PP said keep records, photos, emails etc.

If I've learnt anything from Judge Judy it's to keep records! 😃