+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    This is the bit that concerns me the most. No way would I be letting my child go to that house without a parent.
    Yeah agreed. See it just sucks so much because apart from the dog issue, they're wonderful grandparents. MIL prob goes a bit over board with DS but its all because she loves him. If th dog wasn't there id happily leave DS in their care now. It just sucks that they refuse to work with us on this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not paranoid at all. A fearful dog is just as likely to bite ESPECIALLY if they feel they have no other way to escape.
    Fight or flight; take away flight and whats left?
    If your IL's arent willing to train or supervise appropriately then i definetely would not leave your DS there.

💜 DD1 aka Peanut 💜 Due 28.10.14

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG i was just chatting with DH about it and he told me he left DS alone with them for about 30 mins last time he visited as he had to run down the street and do some things. He told me the dog just hid under their bed in their bedroom the whole time so was no biggie. That peeved me right off!! I had no idea he did that, no wonder MIL is getting at me lately about it now that she knows DH will break the stance we're trying to make, so as usual they see me as the issue He understand clearly to never do that again now and he also agrees the dog isn't good with DS at all. He felt 30 minutes wouldn't be long enough for anything to happen ...And he said he'll have a fresh chat with them about it and tell them he will not budge on it again.

GRR now im just feeling agitated about the whole thing. Really appreciate everyone's input here, at least i know im not over reacting so when they tell me I am ill be confident in myself that im not.
    Last edited by Serenity Love; 16-06-2014 at 17:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad you know you're not overreacting Blessed Be, and I'm glad everyone has given you the confidence to know you are right!

Sometimes people don't understand the speed at which an animal attack can go very very bad. Especially if they've never really seen it. My two dogs fight with each other, they are now separated at all times for their own protection. The total time from a glance at each other across the room to someone, or everyone, is bleeding is about 1.5 seconds. Unfortunately many many people are not very well versed in dog language at all. They don't understand that if you're lucky enough to have a dog who will actually growl before biting, that's about the fifth warning signal they've given that they're uncomfortable. That's why so many people think dogs "attacked out of the blue for no reason". It doesn't sound like your inlaws would be very good at recognising the early warning signs

So glad your DH is on board with you after your chat, at least if your inlaws see you are a united front on the matter they might take it a bit more seriously.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Be View Post
    TBH im not really interested in looking after their anxious dog with my dogs.
    Lol, tongue in cheek suggestion only. My bet is that your MIL would be "oh I can't have my dog staying in a strange place with other dogs unsupervised".... Strangely familiar but she probably wouldn't get the joke.

Stick to your gut feeling about this dog. It would be easier if the situation just resolved itself but that is unlikely. There will be elements that you cannot control such as your partners actions, however all of the visits that you do get a say over or are present at will go towards reducing the probability of an incident happening.

Been in your shoes, DD doesn't visit MILs (or her small, spoilt, snappy, nervous dog) at all, MIL comes here and we cover her petrol costs for visits. Took a bit of haggling to get to that point though but MIL has a ball as she can do what she likes here and doesn't have to worry about kid proofing her place or tidying up afterwards.

Just a thought, could you ask them to muzzle the dog? Cheap nylon muzzles are easy to find on ebay, dog can still drink/lick whilst wearing it (its not the 'cage type' it just prevents jaw opening wide enough to bite or bark, adjustable and velcro plus clips). Dog will probably hate it at first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If you can't trust your inlaws to keep the dog outside then don't take your kids there. My parents had a 'placid dog' a staffy cross but they had no idea about how to train/exercise it correctly. I asked my mum to keep the dog outside when my toddler was there with is. She did. If they would have refused I would have left with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not being over protective.. If the worst were to happen there would be big regrets here from you & the in-laws that probably couldn't be forgiven.. Just don't put yourselves in that position! It's simply not worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera View Post
    Just a thought, could you ask them to muzzle the dog? Cheap nylon muzzles are easy to find on ebay, dog can still drink/lick whilst wearing it (its not the 'cage type' it just prevents jaw opening wide enough to bite or bark, adjustable and velcro plus clips). Dog will probably hate it at first.
    off topic but dangerous for dog in warm weather or when stressed. 10-15 minutes recommended max.

💜 DD1 aka Peanut 💜 Due 28.10.14