Closed Thread
Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    To me, any reasonably clean, healthy diet should be a lifelong change, not just about weight loss.

Many programs have weight loss, then maintenance stages. It's a matter of sticking to it.

I definitely know what it's like to have one taste of sugar after a long stint without it.

Weight loss is more than numbers on the scales. It's a mental battle that some people will never understand.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (22-06-2014),hadesgirl  (22-06-2014),PipersMummy  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Hi sorry to crash I'm not currently doing lo carb and as I'm vegetarian not entirely sure how I'd it anyway but putting that to one side I was hoping someone could answer my question. I have known a few people years ago who have done lo carb and had fantastic results but once they resume eating normally the weight goes back on.

That was a long time ago when lo card first became popular and tbh I haven't known anyone do it for a few years. How do you approach the diet? Is it just a kick start to dramatic weight loss and then you stay at your goal weight through just eating less generally?

I am genuinely interested as it would take a lot for me to do lo carb as I don't eat red meat at all and I'm not sure how you do it long term anyway?
    I think we just need to remember that carbohydrates are fuel. If you put more fuel in the tank than you need for energy, then your body will store it - this is fat. For example, for an average adult, you do not need carbs after lunch - as most people are not very active at night. You can still have carbs and maintain a healthy weight, but being aware of maintaining a balance of fuel in equalling energy out is essential. I eat quite a few carbs before lunch but I am relatively active. I don't have a weight problem, however I can easily creep 5kg on which is why I am currently trying to lose the 'last 5kg' and have quite a bit of trouble getting it off once it is on (this is not baby weight unfortunately it is laziness weight)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Okie dokie, here's my breakdown of today

B-hplc protein bar (I was in a time crunch getting to work)
    Coffee
    L-left over oven fajita meat and some cherry tomatoes, my lettuce got gross
    D-roast lamb, broccoli and cauliflower with Mersey valley spreadable cheese, beans and roast onion

I may have a few strawberries later but I don't think I need to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I think we just need to remember that carbohydrates are fuel. If you put more fuel in the tank than you need for energy, then your body will store it - this is fat. For example, for an average adult, you do not need carbs after lunch - as most people are not very active at night. You can still have carbs and maintain a healthy weight, but being aware of maintaining a balance of fuel in equalling energy out is essential. I eat quite a few carbs before lunch but I am relatively active. I don't have a weight problem, however I can easily creep 5kg on which is why I am currently trying to lose the 'last 5kg' and have quite a bit of trouble getting it off once it is on (this is not baby weight unfortunately it is laziness weight)
    I agree with a lot of what you have said, however, I think I am on a different tangent to you when it comes to low carb. My aim is not to eat less fuel/energy than I require, so that my body won't store any extra. I am not interested in this at all. From what you have said about fuel in and energy out, it appears you are using a calorie deficit to lose weight.

I am eating very low carb and high fat so that I will enter into ketosis so that my body will quickly burn off my fat stores. I am doing this to lose a couple of kilos.

I appreciate your post and your opinion but we are on a different path when it comes to low carb.

I hope we both reach our goals, whatever method we chose.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post:

hadesgirl  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you have said, however, I think I am on a different tangent to you when it comes to low carb. My aim is not to eat less fuel/energy than I require, so that my body won't store any extra. I am not interested in this at all. From what you have said about fuel in and energy out, it appears you are using a calorie deficit to lose weight.

I am eating very low carb and high fat so that I will enter into ketosis so that my body will quickly burn off my fat stores. I am doing this to lose a couple of kilos.

I appreciate your post and your opinion but we are on a different path when it comes to low carb.

I hope we both reach our goals, whatever method we chose.
    Yeah we probably are, but yours is working for you, and mine for me (1kg to go). That's why I like this thread, it has given me different ways of thinking - just think, without your posts I wouldn't be enjoying yummy omelettes every morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    TeBe I just wanted to clarify my original post - I was referring to how I maintained weight (I.e. After losing the weight, how I don't put it back on under normal circumstances) - Just because a pp referred to knowing people who, as soon as they reached their goal rarely kept the weight off. Argh, sorry not making much sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Where do you sit with portion sizes @TeBe? Are you limiting at all? I've been eating as much as I like, also with no thought about calories. Although I have pretty much cut snacking and by default am consuming less calories.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Where do you sit with portion sizes @TeBe? Are you limiting at all? I've been eating as much as I like, also with no thought about calories. Although I have pretty much cut snacking and by default am consuming less calories.
    Im eating my meal until i feel full. Naturally for me tho my portions are smaller because of my surgery. But im not concerned about calories at all.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

babyla  (22-06-2014),MummaOJ  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I am not concerned with portion sizes or calories. I eat as much as i like of meat cheese and eggs.

I am only concerned with my intake of carbs to try and get into, and stay in ketosis.

I have read a lot of articles that say it is important to eat a lot of fat when doing this type of diet, so that you feel full, which will assist you to maintain the diet over a long period of time and reach your goal weight.

This is why I like this eating plan, can eat as much meat eggs and cheese as you like. I struggle with calorie deficit diets where you have to stop eating at a certain point once you have reached your calorie limit for the day.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post:

babyla  (22-06-2014),MummaOJ  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    TeBe I just wanted to clarify my original post - I was referring to how I maintained weight (I.e. After losing the weight, how I don't put it back on under normal circumstances) - Just because a pp referred to knowing people who, as soon as they reached their goal rarely kept the weight off. Argh, sorry not making much sense.
    Its hard to put thoughts into words sometimes! I know the feeling.

I just think you are following a calorie deficit approach because you talk about eating less fuel than your body requires. This is not the goal of a low carb diet. On a low carb diet you deplete your body of carbs so that you will enter ketosis, this has absolutely nothing to do with fuel/calories etc.

Anyway, I think we understand each other now. Congratulations on your weight loss, what a great achievement.