+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Activities to encourage talking

My 2.5 year old DS does not talk much. I wasn't concerned for a long time because my MIL said DH didn't say even one word until after he was 2. And he has said words but he seems to say them once and then we never hear them again other than mum, no and want.

I read to him, I always explain to him what's going on. What I am doing and what he is doing but he just doesn't seem to talk much. I don't know if it's a problem or he's just being stubborn (I think the stubborn because he does say words then we never hear it again). He just doesn't seem interested in talking or listening really. I don't think it's a hearing problem because I have tested that myself but he is having a hearing test next week.

I am concerned now because his 1.5 year old twin brothers are talking a lot more than him.

Anyone have any suggestions for things I could try that might encourage him to talk and keep on talking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you try getting him to talk and videoing him, for him to see? My kids loved to watch back the videos their speechie took if them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 79me View Post
    Could you try getting him to talk and videoing him, for him to see? My kids loved to watch back the videos their speechie took if them.
    Thanks I have a couple of things he has said in the past I will try playing them for him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if this will help or not, but I'm studying psychology and one of the things I learned this semester was regarding speech and children - in particular that it's better for their development if you repeat things back to them. Let me give an example:

My DS is 2 and his speech is that age appropriate babble full of mispronunciation (ie he says "itty" instead of "kitty" when he sees our cat). I used to just respond with "yep, there he is" or something like that but my uni work has taught me that my son's speech will develop better if I were to say something like "can you see the kitty?" and say the word he's trying to say back to him iykwim. It seems a bit obvious, but wasn't something I was aware of until I read about it in my textbook. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Google the Hanen program. It might not totally apply to your situation but it's used to help kids with delayed speech or late talkers. You might find some interesting info there.

Eta here's a link. I'm hope I can post it here.
    http://www.hanen.org/Programs/For-Pa...o-to-Talk.aspx
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    www.teachmetotalk.com A veritable goldmine and full of useful things that worked on our 3 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing so I can find the links later. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing because the links look interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second teachmetotalk.com and also www.playingwithwords365.com . I have found through watching my DS's speech therapist work that you have to be really OTT with kids. When I can put my inhibitions aside and get silly my DS responds better. Also teaching him a few basic signs has helped for words like more, eat, drink & finished has really helped. Teachmetotalk has a great book called Teach me to play with you. It's pricey to get shipped over from the US but I've found it very helpful.