+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a similar situation, although I haven't shared the name yet. This baby is going to be named (either first or middle, leaning towards middle) after my father, Sydney, who passed away just a couple of weeks after we bought DD home from hospital. It's a traditional family name through his family and there must be at least 8 or so Sydney's in just a few generations.

Where it's similar is that I'm happy to use it for a girl, as it's also a unisex name, even though it's strictly had male-only use as the family name.

Your family will carry bias towards a certain gender for the name simply because that's what they're used to, but I know Addison's both male and female and think it's a beautiful female name! I don't think anyone she grows up with will even think she has a male name, to be honest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a lovely name and would always think of it as a female name first. My DD2 is Addie (short for Adelaide) - I think a few people were a bit meh about the name Adelaide, but as they didn't find out until after she born no-one actually came out and said anything lol! We love it and it suits her - that's what matters. No-one can imagine her as anything different now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You've made a nice choice. Dismiss the negativity.

I think of Addison as a girls name so it's not boyish at all to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a lovely name

I have a young family member with this name and I don't think that she has any issues. She's certainly not scarred for life and I think it suits her!

I also have a unisex name and apart from a bit of teasing from hubby and the occasional mixup at work (people I've been emailing with call
    Me and are surprised to hear a female voice)

Besides, I think Addison is more a girls name now anyhow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gorgeous name!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I love it too. Would chose it for my daughter if I could but we need a name easy to pronounce by French people.

Anyway ignore the critics, it's a beautiful name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the reason I didn't share names with anyone prior to birth. People tend to keep their opinions to themselves if you tell them once baby is born.

I think it's a beautiful name. What's more important though is that you love it. Don't change it to please others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a lovely name! We told a few people when we decided on ds name but got a lot of negative comments so I stopped telling people and would say "we are waiting for the birth to announce it"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's a really lovely name. It was on my short list. Ignore them and maybe stop telling people turn you don't have to listen to the negativity.
    @GM01 I have a friend who named her little girl Sidney... it was also a family name. I think it's cute.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

GM01  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's your daughter, your choice. Ignore the people who don't like it because honestly, no matter what you choose, there'll be someone who isn't going to like it. That's their problem, not yours.

I think it's a beautiful name.