+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Negative reactions to chosen name

I found out yesterday that I am having a little girl!
    I have a name picked out for her, family love it as it's a family name (grandfathers middle name, dad's middle name, very similar to sisters middle name) but many friends, and the fathers family have turned up their nose to it!

I have even, from a close family friend (well my cousins mum), been told that I'm putting my daughter through a lifetime of hell, and that I of all people should understand because I have a male name too! I actually love my name! I couldn't imagine being called anything else, and most people actually like my name, after they ask if it's short for anything haha (My name is Bobbie)

Would you change a name based on these negative reactions? Or just stick with it because you like it? Am I really setting my child up for a lifetime of hell?

For those wondering, the name is Addison Elizabeth. I like that it's a family name, and very english sounding as I am English.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a beautiful name!!!

I've set my child up for a lifetime of having to spell it out because it's a maori name and in Oz people are going to find it very difficult. Meh!

There will always be someone who's going to judge your name choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love it, it's a beautiful name! We named our daughter Sailor, so of course we've had those comments but we LOVE it and now that she's almost 2 it's grown on most people

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I learned after the first child to not discuss names with anyone until after the birth and it is done, it just causes way too many problems.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (15-06-2014),btmacxxx  (21-06-2014),Gracie's Mum  (21-06-2014),Justwant2beamummy  (01-07-2014),Oblena  (15-06-2014),ScubaGal  (22-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post

There will always be someone who's going to judge your name choice.
    This. People well get used to it or they'll get over it. Don't change from a name you love to make everyone else happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3bubbys View Post
    I love it, it's a beautiful name! We named our daughter Sailor, so of course we've had those comments but we LOVE it and now that she's almost 2 it's grown on most people
    This was my second choice!
    I'm from a military's family, I'm first generation without any. Being in the military since our family history was first recorded.. In 1066!
    My dad was in the Royal Navy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbielouise For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (15-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the name & I don't think it's masculine at all. In recent years I have heard of more female Addison's than male.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a nice name and have heard it used before a friend has a little girl called Addison. I also love Addelyn (very similar names).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Gorgeous name! Do yourself a favour and do not talk about potential names with anyone other than you DH until after bub is born and you have decided..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (25-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Gorgeous name! Do yourself a favour and do not talk about potential names with anyone other than you DH until after bub is born and you have decided..
    Yep haha definitely learnt my lesson.

I'm just going to go with it, in the end it's my choice and no one else's. They will just come to know my little girl by that name and get over it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbielouise For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-06-2014)