+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I moved to the country 15 years ago and would never move back there again. But, I think it depends a lot on the town you move to.

I found people in the town I moved to to be racist, insular, nosey. The only good friends I made were people who were from Sydney and a lot of international backpackers doing fruit picking. I met some nice people through work but I found it a bit confronting when they would look in your trolley and ask who you were having dinner with at the local club the night before (it was the backpackers).

I moved to the country to save money as I knew I was going to move to London on a 2 year working visa. It was easy getting work for me being a teacher and I lived in teacher housing.

If we ever had to move to the country, I would be very picky. But I really wouldn't want to.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 15-06-2014 at 09:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Moved 3.5 years ago as we wanted our horses at home and a more "community" feel.
    No regrets at all. I never even want to visit where we moved from- which is a beautiful coastal area super popular with tourists.
    I'm an optician and DH is a primary teacher, we had our choice of jobs and our career advancement has been greater here than where we lived.
    Pros- much better social life, everyone goes to EVERYTHING! It's very fun.
    Sport facilities are second to none.
    I see kangaroos everyday, everyone is a great cook/baker, we are three hours from the snow, 45 mins from the beach and live next to a huge lake popular with city folk for waterskiing and fishing
    Cons- floods and fires. We can't get to work due to floods- it's actually great fun! Our property doesn't flood but everyone round does as its "flood irrigation" and is supposed to.
    Fire season is scary. During the Jan 2013 fires we had to leave our livestock and evacuate at short notice- there were fires across the road and reports our house had burnt down, luckily it hadn't. If our town is on fire we have no fire trucks coming out to help us-we are on our own. That is stressful.
    Day to day- no postal service, no bin service, no recycling.
    We have fabulous eateries but not enough of them and not enough variety.
    Shopping-we travel to shop! Online is amazing.
    We would never more back, we would feel we are missing out by living closer to suburbia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who has made the move?
    Me

What were your reasons for the move?
    I met someone in Melbourne who lived in the boondooks. It was not on my agenda at all to move to the country.

What were your challenges?
    Lots: loneliness for the first year.You really do have to make an effort to be part of the community, and realise that you have less options of the kind of people you have to make friends with.
    This is both a pro and a con. As a pp mentioned country people can be conservative and racist. Getting past that to get along with everyone can be challenging.
    A sense of "not being a local" which I think will last forever in my small neck of the woods.

Do you think you made the right decision or Do you regret it?
    Yes, I made the right decision.
    My kids love the country, we are on 30 acres, and there are fantastic opportunities for the kids that they didn't have in the city.
    Life is way cheaper, most in my rural community live on modest incomes (even when the farm is bringing in a fortune) and there is less competition with country kids about "having stuff".
    Our local schools are great too.

Work:
    I had to study and change careers because there were no opportunities with my previous experience. I now have a job I love in a community health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your answers, I showed them to hubby & seeing that so many have done it & are happy with the move is awesome. We are slowly getting plans made to make a move, were locked into a lease here for another year so it gives us time to get organised feeling excited

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did it 2.5 years ago. Best thing we ever did. We are regional so still have 2 hospitals, lots of schools and just over an hour from Melbourne. We both were travelling for work but DH just got a job here and I'm taking leave. Plenty of work here if I want it, not sure I do though I'm after a change. I wouldn't go back to city, living here is easy. 100% best thing we could have done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    For those that own what work do you do and how did you find a job if you don't mind answering
    We own 14 acres of scrubland with a 2-storey, 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom and a 1 bedroom granny flat.

DH works full time for an NGO as a case worker for the homeless (think middle income)
    I'm a school teacher, working 4 days per week on top standard teaching wages. We were both teachers when we moved up here,and won the jobs before being posted out here for our first teaching appointments. We wouldn't have afforded this place on our beginning wages as teachers, as our wages in the first year of teaching were around half my current wage if I was working full time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What were your reasons for the move?

We moved for DH's work. Also, I grew up in the country and do prefer the lifestyle.

What were your challenges?

Biggest challenge is work for me. I have an entry level job which, admittedly, pays significantly more than the award, but it's just not personally satisfying. I've been trying to find other work since we moved here 18 months ago, but haven't had a single interview. All the jobs seem to go to someone's second cousin before they even get advertised. I'm now looking into studying and changing careers.

Do you think you made the right decision or Do you regret it?

I love the the lifestyle, I love the people, I love the community feeling of the place. I love that we have been able to build our first home, and it's easy to make friends because everyone is friendly. But I really hate the lack of opportunity career-wise.

Anything else you want to add! I'm just keen to hear from those who have done it!

If you or your DH work in health, community services, or education, go for it! There are a million and one opportunities for these types of professionals. If you don't work in these industries, definitely secure work BEFORE you make the leap.

Oh, and once you've moved, get chickens

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did it for 2 years, small town of 2000 people. Moved for DH work. I had to drive 120km round trip for work for a while, but soon got work in town. Pros - great community, house & car supplied by DH work, would be great for small kids. Cons - obliged to take part in community things, got a bit stifling for us, no shops/restaurants, no high school. The biggest issue for me would be high school, many towns in WA have no high school so your kid has to go to boarding school at 12, or get home schooled (both my sister & brothers kids will have to do this). We now live in a regional centre which suits us much better. We can afford to build a house, it's a bit cheaper than Perth, there are cafes & shops & a gym nearby & schools! I agree with pp's if you do move to a small town get involved, join the footy/tennis/netball club & you will have instant friends.