Closed Thread
Page 22 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faithandhopellove View Post
    I have a question for those who have investigated or gone through with donor eggs. I am still committed to doing a couple more cycles with my own eggs but am thinking about next options (as a way of keeping my spirits up if things don't go well). I have looked up a couple of options (USA and world egg bank) and comparing price, success rates, travel, tests required, accesibility of drugs and other things like anonymous donors is making my head spin. So I'm wondering how other people came to make their decision on where to go for donor eggs?
    We chose SA pretty much off the back of recommendations by others on bub hub. We considered an offer from my sister to donate her eggs and didn't feel comfortable with that. We also considered looking for known donors here, but were swayed by the ability to choose a donor quickly and a donor with similar characteristics from SA. It took me some time to come to terms with using an anonymous donor but I worked through it and feel ok now. I have strategies in place for dealing with the possible issues from that in the future. USA and TWEB were very expensive and our FS lead us more towards SA and Greece as the better options. I am 8w3d pregnant from my SA cycle and have a bunch of ice-babies. (And Emski is 100% right...Cape Town is a fantastic holiday venue and very affordable)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

faithandhopellove  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. SA was at the bottom of our list for distance and safety reasons but cost and having frosties for second tries (or siblings) is very appealing. How long did the process take once you contacted the service? we are figuring 2 more IVF rounds here will take us into 2015 and we may be able to book flights in the off peak if wait times are ok (some US clinics had long waiting lists for fresh).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    About 2 months - Cape Town is safe. I'd avoid Johannesberg.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

faithandhopellove  (19-07-2014),MGC Bertie  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MGC Bertie View Post
    Emski... 19 weeks - that's absolutely gone so quickly... or at least it seems to have gone so quickly when I think of all the cycles we did together and here you are pretty much at the half way mark. That's so fantastic, and I am so excited for you!!! You must be absolutely over the moon. Best wishes for the last half xx
    Thanks Bertie, I keep watching to see how you're going. xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faithandhopellove View Post
    Thanks ladies. SA was at the bottom of our list for distance and safety reasons but cost and having frosties for second tries (or siblings) is very appealing. How long did the process take once you contacted the service? we are figuring 2 more IVF rounds here will take us into 2015 and we may be able to book flights in the off peak if wait times are ok (some US clinics had long waiting lists for fresh).
    We were concerned about safety too initially. Especially DH. I had been reading SA thread for ages and that had given me confidence. We had no issues though. I felt as safe there or even safer sometimes than I've felt travelling in the US and Europe. You need to use your common sense just like anywhere you go. Not sure I'd go to jo'burg, but Cape Town felt really safe.

Our flights were a bit pricey as we had to book them pretty last minute. But the cost of accom and activities, meals etc is really low.

Things happen surprisingly fast after you choose a donor. 8 weeks is a good guide.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

faithandhopellove  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting news!

IVF to be bulk billed
    An IVF clinic set to open its doors today will offer the first bulk-billed IVF service in Australia.

Primary Health Care opens its first clinic in Sydney and will cut the average out-of-pocket expenses for patients to about $500, compared with the average of about $4000 in private clinics.

News Limited reports that the average cost for treatment is about $8000 with between $3000 and $4000 covered by Medicare.

Read more at http://www.mamamia.com.au

AFM - cheering from sidelines whilst gearing up for next FS appt. next week.
    Good luck ladies wherever you're at with your journey✨✨

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Biscotti71 For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (21-07-2014),Butterfly39  (22-07-2014),faithandhopellove  (21-07-2014),MGC Bertie  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Biscotti... yes, there seems to be low-cost clinics like this popping up all the time. IVFA started a cheap version of one about six months ago in Liverpool, and there's a couple of others already in Sydney - they absolutely cater for some women perfectly, but wouldn't do for any of us "oldies", long-timers or those with issues. I read about a couple of them - you need to have no issues (e.g. young women who just haven't got pregnant), you will usually just be allocated any doctor on any given appointment, EPU or ET, most of them just use local anaesthetic or some kind of relaxant (rather than general), and none of them have anonymous donor sperm. I'm sure there would be a percentage of women who they would fit perfectly, perhaps to recommend to young women first starting IVF, as a stepping stone.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

Biscotti71  (22-07-2014),Butterfly39  (22-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Gah the thought of EPU without anesthetic makes my eyes water more than the thought of paying the extra $3500 lol.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (22-07-2014),MGC Bertie  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    Gah the thought of EPU without anesthetic makes my eyes water more than the thought of paying the extra $3500 lol.

Yup, me too

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpringRain For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate the anaesthetic (I get sick and stay drowsy for ages) so I'd try EPU without it. I may change my mind though.
    I think the cheaper clinics would be a better way to start off. I feel like I have wasted a lot of money on an expensive clinic with bad service and terrible communication. I have reached the conclusion that they have a set formula that everyone starts on and they don't vary it without a clients insistence. I think I could have got the same service from a cheaper clinic. Tomorrow I see the FS at the old clinic to discuss what happened last round. We will also be asking for our records to be sent to the new clinic.