+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me how you get nice hair!

Ok, my hair isn't great but it's not overly bad either. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get really nice hair! I did have a lot of colour work last year (dark brown to blonde & am brown again) which I'm trying to recover from. I just notice so many others seem to have lovely hair they can wear down all the time & I can't get mine there!

I go to a hairdresser every 2-3 months & am only getting a basic chestnut colour now. I used to have a shampoo (for the life of me I can't remember the name) that when my hair dried I didn't have to straighten it because there was no frizz. I've tried heaps but can't seem to find it again (my hair is fairly thick). I feel now after I wash my hair & straighten it once it has dried my hair gets oily & a little frizzy & I have to tie it in a pony tail most of the time. When I first wash it & straighten it, it looks nice but a day later is terrible

Anyway, is there anything special you do to keep your hair healthy/nice? I would love to hear some tips I don't know what I'm doing wrong but would love to fix it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My hair is thick too and I get my hair cut or trimmed every 6 weeks or so if I can, I use a serum before I put any heat on it like the GHD or blow dryer, use quality shampoo and conditioner and every now and then a hydrating mask and have switched from using Moroccan Oil to Wella SP Luxe Oil.

OP, if you're having frizz and static issues, there are so many products you can use to help keep that at bay, and try some hair oil, it smooths and reconstructs and is just lovely for that shine (without greasiness) and if you get the right one won't weigh your hair down.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Uniquey View Post
    My hair is thick too and I get my hair cut or trimmed every 6 weeks or so if I can, I use a serum before I put any heat on it like the GHD or blow dryer, use quality shampoo and conditioner and every now and then a hydrating mask and have switched from using Moroccan Oil to Wella SP Luxe Oil.

OP, if you're having frizz and static issues, there are so many products you can use to help keep that at bay, and try some hair oil, it smooths and reconstructs and is just lovely for that shine (without greasiness) and if you get the right one won't weigh your hair down.
    Thanks heaps for the reply I've gone through a lot of different shampoos but just can't find the right fit yet I guess. I am due to go back to the hairdressers soon for a cut & colour so I might ask them then. I just don't want to have to buy a lot of products there as it'll get really expensive. I did buy a spray last time I was there which is to be put on before I straighten or dry it.

I use Moroccan oil too but might look at switching to something else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you have a Price Attack or Hairhouse Warehouse or similar? I rarely buy anything from the hairdressers these days. Perhaps when you're next at the hairdressers ask them what they would recommend for your hair in regards to what you think are the problems and then buy elsewhere.

Unless you have ultra damaged hair (which it sounds like you don't) you really don't need a lot of products, just some good shampoo and conditioner and maybe an oil. I changed from Moroccan Oil because I found it a little too heavy and can't recommend the Wella SP Luxe Oil enough, it is light, smells divine, you only need a small amount which goes a long way and is also a reconstructive elixir, so helps damaged hair but also tames curly hair and that sort of thing. It's a little pricey, but a little goes a long way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What brand of shampoo & conditioner do you use? Also do you have fine hair or thick hair?

I always buy my hair products from Hairhouse Warehouse and never from the supermarket. Because you colour your hair you need a moisturising shampoo and you should also use a treatment every few washes. Oh and don't wash your hair too often, every two to four days to let natural oils keep the hair healthy.

Another tip my hairdresser gave me was to always shampoo twice before using conditioner. It's amazing how much cleaner your hair feels when you do that.

They're my tips. I've got blonde highlighted hair (natural colour is brown), and my hair is shiny and looks nice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohh, I might have to go & check out that oil It sounds exactly what I need, as I find the Moroccan oil a little too heavy too. I had only gotten it when it was what everyone was buying, lol.

Yeah, I do have a price attack fairly near by so I might just do that, to get some recommendations & then buy there

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    What brand of shampoo & conditioner do you use? Also do you have fine hair or thick hair?

I always buy my hair products from Hairhouse Warehouse and never from the supermarket. Because you colour your hair you need a moisturising shampoo and you should also use a treatment every few washes. Oh and don't wash your hair too often, every two to four days to let natural oils keep the hair healthy.

Another tip my hairdresser gave me was to always shampoo twice before using conditioner. It's amazing how much cleaner your hair feels when you do that.

They're my tips. I've got blonde highlighted hair (natural colour is brown), and my hair is shiny and looks nice.
    Thank you The shampoo/conditioner I'm using at the moment is L'Oreal which is a smooth & tame shampoo. I've only been using it for the last couple of weeks but I still find it really does nothing for me.

My hair is fairly thick & gets frizzy pretty bad so I straighten it every 2-3 days (usually after I wash my hair & it has dried).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love kerastase and redken - they have lots of different ranges for different hair types. They're usually cheapest on strawberrynet or fragrancenet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, Redken do a 'Smooth down' shampoo which is lovely as it has Macadamia oil in it, and I found it great with my thick hair etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I changed to lush products for shampoo, conditioner and treatment and will never look back. My hair is sooo much better