+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can understand why some people would feel sad. My sister and I both married and have girls and we won't ne carrying the name down on, not down dads line anyway. But dad was one of 8 boys so the family name will certainly be carrying on (breed like rabbits is a phrase that comes to mind about some of my family....shame I missed that fertility gene). If there was a chance that our family name (which I really do hold dear: it is off a massive, loud family, a lot of fun times, my remarkable grandma who was wise and loving and strong and capable) ran the risk of dying out I would certainly feel a sense of loss. I suppose it is important to me but that doesn't mean it is necessarily important to others.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Passing a name down through generations isn't important to me. It's nice thinking my family genes might be continued though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I HATED my mothers maiden name which thankfully didn't get passed on to some poor sod.

There are some pretty awful surnames out there!
    Eg longbottom, Hitler, fatfannyasspants

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels4me View Post
    This is a ridiculous statement and i find your comment insulting. No one in their right mind would care more about carrying on the family name than having a healthy baby and whilst carrying on my families name was very important to me it certainly wasn't more important than having a healthy child.
    I am sorry if you were offended. There are people out there like this. This is a fact.
    I know someone that is like that. I was commenting from my own experience. It was extremely sad to see a dad and grandma reject this child because it was a girl.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 14-06-2014 at 07:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels4me View Post
    This is a ridiculous statement and i find your comment insulting. No one in their right mind would care more about carrying on the family name than having a healthy baby and whilst carrying on my families name was very important to me it certainly wasn't more important than having a healthy child.
    I don't think anewme was referring to any of the replies in here. Just that sadly people in the world actually DO think it's more important.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (14-06-2014),sky1  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
    One of my friends is one of two girls in the family. When she got married her fiancé/husband took HER last name so her maiden name would continue. The husband had a brother with boys (so his last name would be carried on) but my friend had no male relatives with her maiden name.
    This.

Some family friends of ours lost much of their family in the reign of Khomeini and now there are only 5 families of that name left in the world. So my mothers friend's husband agreed to let the children retain their mothers maiden name.

I know family lineage is very important to some people.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My son will carry on the family name as he has my last name. If and when i get married i dont plan on changing my name as i want the same last name as kiddo.

Not really all that important to me but i know it is to my dad

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 'carrying on the family name' is one of the things that oppresses women. It makes people desire a boy over a girl. No offense meant to the OP as I realise you are just asking a question and a lot of people do think like that.

But why cant girls carry on a family name? I know loads of women who kept their surname after marriage and the kids can have a combined surname if they choose.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (14-06-2014),relle  (14-06-2014),sky1  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mothers maiden name stops with her and my aunt (who never had children) and when my grandfather was talking about it awhile ago he said "if I open up the phone book there are pages of us in there, the surname is being carried on by lots of other people!" so he wasn't at all worried. My friend is having a baby and is insisting on giving her child a hyphenated surname. So the fathers name and her name (which happens to be her mothers maiden name) because she is the last person to have her mothers maiden name. When I asked her why it was so important to pass on her mothers maiden name especially seeing as though she's having a baby girl (so there is a strong likelyhood she will get married and take her husbands name anyway) she couldn't really give me a reason, other than it was important to her. So I don't think there is always a logical reason, more just a feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's unlikely my family name will be carried on. DS and I have DH's surname and my brother is unlikely to ever have children.

I think it makes my dad a tiny bit sad, but I doubt it's something he thinks about much. He's not the type to let things out of his control bother him.